Continuously differentiable series

In summary: As a summary, we have shown that the series $f(x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)$ is continuously differentiable by proving that both $f(x)$ and $f'(x)$ are absolutely convergent. We also established that $f(x)$ is continuously differentiable on $\mathbb{R}$ by checking that the derivative exists and is continuous. In addition, we can determine the intervals where $f(x)$ is uniformly convergent using the Weierstrass M-test, which tells us that the series converges uniformly on any bounded interval.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that series $$f(x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)$$ is continuously differentiable. We have that $|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}=\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$, or not?

The sum $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$ converges as a geometric series. So by comparison test the series $f(x)$ converges absolutely.

The derivative is equal to $$f'(x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}2^k\cdot 3^{-k}\cdot \cos (3^{-k}x)$$

It holds that $$|2^k\cdot 3^{-k}\cdot \cos (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}=\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$$

The sum $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$ converges as a geometric series. So by comparison test the series $f'(x)$ converges absolutely. So, we have tha tthe function and its derivative are absolutely convergent. Does this imply that the function $f(x)$ is continuousy differentiable? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
We have that $|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}=\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$, or not?

Hey mathmari!

Shouldn't that be $|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot |3^{-k}x|$? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, we have that the function and its derivative are absolutely convergent. Does this imply that the function $f(x)$ is continuousy differentiable? (Wondering)

If a function is well-defined, and if it's differentiable, that implies indeed that it's continuous as well. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Shouldn't that be $|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot 1$? (Wondering)

Oh yes. So here we cannot check the convergence, as I did.
I like Serena said:
If a function is well-defined, and if it's differentiable, that implies indeed that it's continuous as well. (Nerd)

So, we have shown that the derivative is absolutely convergent. That means that $f(x)$ is differentiable, right?
So, does this mean that this implies that $f(x)$ is continuously differentiable? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Oh yes. So here we cannot check the convergence, as I did.

Actually, I modified my previous post, because we do have that $|\sin y| < |y|$, so with a little tweak we do have enough to confirm convergence. (Thinking)

mathmari said:
So, we have shown that the derivative is absolutely convergent. That means that $f(x)$ is differentiable, right?
So, does this mean that this implies that $f(x)$ is continuously differentiable?

It means that $f$ is differentiable on its domain. We also need to establish that $f(x)$ converges everywhere, so that its domain is $\mathbb R$.
If we have both, then $f$ is indeed continuously differentiable on $\mathbb R$. (Nod)

Recall that $g'(x) = \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{g(x+h)-g(x)}{h}$, where $g$ must be defined in a neighborhood around $x$.
So if $g$ is not continuous in $x$, then the numerator is non-zero, meaning the derivative does not exist.
Therefore, if the derivative does exist, then the function is also continuous, and therefore continuously differentiable. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Actually, I modified my previous post, because we do have that $|\sin y| < |y|$, so with a little tweak we do have enough to confirm convergence. (Thinking)

Ah ok. So we have that $$|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot |3^{-k}x|\leq 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}$$ for $x\in [-1,1]$, right? (Wondering)

So, we have to check the convergence also for $|x|>1$, or not? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Recall that $g'(x) = \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{g(x+h)-g(x)}{h}$, where $g$ must be defined in a neighborhood around $x$.
So if $g$ is not continuous in $x$, then the numerator is non-zero, meaning the derivative does not exist.
Therefore, if the derivative does exist, then the function is also continuous, and therefore continuously differentiable. (Nerd)

Does this mean that we have to check only if the derivative of $f(x)$ exists, i.e. if the series of $f'(x)$ converges?

mathmari said:
Ah ok. So we have that $$|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot |3^{-k}x|\leq 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}$$ for $x\in [-1,1]$, right? (Wondering)

So, we have to check the convergence also for $|x|>1$, or not?

It's implicit.
We can treat $x$ as a constant, so that $\sum 2^k\cdot |3^{-k}x| = |x|\sum (\frac 23)^k$ converges. (Thinking)

mathmari said:
Does this mean that we have to check only if the derivative of $f(x)$ exists, i.e. if the series of $f'(x)$ converges?

That, together with a check that $f(x)$ exists. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
It's implicit.
We can treat $x$ as a constant, so that $\sum 2^k\cdot |3^{-k}x| = |x|\sum (\frac 23)^k$ converges. (Thinking)
That, together with a check that $f(x)$ exists. (Nod)
So, we have the following:

It holds that $$|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot |3^{-k}x|\leq |x| \cdot 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}=|x|\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$$ Since the series $$\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|x|\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k=|x|\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k=2|x|$$ converges, by the comparison test we have that the series of $f(x)$ converges absolutely, and so $f(x)$ exists. We have that $$f'(x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}2^k\cdot 3^{-k}\cdot \cos (3^{-k}x)$$ Since $|2^k\cdot 3^{-k}\cdot \cos (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}=\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$ and $$\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k=2$$ it follows by the comparison test that $f'(x)$ converges absolutely, and so $f'(x)$ exists. From the above it follows that $f(x)$ is continuously differentiable. Is everything correct? (Wondering)

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Great!

Next, I want to determine the intervals where $f(x)$ is uniformly convergent. Do we apply here the Weierstrass M-test? We have that $$|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot |3^{-k}x|\leq |x| \cdot 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}=|x|\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$$ Let $x\in [-a,a]$ for any $a>0$. Then we have $$|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq a\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$$ According to Weierestrass M-Test we have that that the series converges uniformly on any bounded interval.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Two comments about this thread:

Frist, "continuously differentiable" usually means "has a continuous derivative". So you need to show that $f'(x)$ is continuous (the function itself is automatically continuous if it is differentiable, but in general the derivative might not be).

Second, you are assuming that the derivative of this infinite series can be obtained by differentiating the series term by term. In general, that need not hold. In other words, if $f(x) = \sum u_n(x)$, and each term $u_n(x)$ is differentiable, it need not be true that $f'(x) = \sum u_n'(x).$ But there is a theorem saying that if the differentiated series $\sum u_n'(x)$ converges uniformly, then it is true that $f'(x) = \sum u_n'(x).$ There is a careful statement of that theorem here (Theorem 2).

In the case of your function \(\displaystyle f(x) = \sum_{k=1}^\infty 2^k\sin(3^{-k}x),\) that series converges pointwise (but not uniformly). But the differentiated series $\sum(\frac23)^k\cos(3^{-k}x)$ does converge uniformly. So the Theorem applies, and it follows that $f(x)$ is continuously differentiable.

mathmari said:
Next, I want to determine the intervals where $f(x)$ is uniformly convergent. Do we apply here the Weierstrass M-test? We have that $$|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq 2^k\cdot |3^{-k}x|\leq |x| \cdot 2^k\cdot 3^{-k}=|x|\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$$ Let $x\in [-a,a]$ for any $a>0$. Then we have $$|2^k\sin (3^{-k}x)|\leq a\left (\frac{2}{3}\right )^k$$ According to Weierestrass M-Test we have that that the series converges uniformly on any bounded interval.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Yes, that is correct: the series converges uniformly on bounded intervals, but not on the whole real line.

1. What is a continuously differentiable series?

A continuously differentiable series is a mathematical function that has a derivative at every point in its domain and the derivative is also a continuous function. This means that the graph of the function has a smooth, unbroken curve with no sharp turns or corners.

2. How is a continuously differentiable series different from a differentiable series?

A differentiable series is a function that has a derivative at every point in its domain. However, the derivative may not be a continuous function. This means that the graph of the function may have sharp turns or corners. A continuously differentiable series, on the other hand, has a derivative that is also a continuous function, resulting in a smooth graph without any sharp turns or corners.

3. What is the importance of continuously differentiable series in mathematics?

Continuously differentiable series have many applications in mathematics, such as in optimization problems and curve fitting. They also play a crucial role in the study of differential equations, as they provide a way to model and solve real-world problems.

4. How is the continuity of a differentiable series related to its differentiability?

The continuity of a differentiable series is a necessary condition for it to be continuously differentiable. This means that if a function is not continuous, it cannot be continuously differentiable. However, a function can be continuous without being continuously differentiable (i.e. differentiable with a continuous derivative).

5. Can a continuously differentiable series have a discontinuous derivative?

No, a continuously differentiable series must have a continuous derivative at every point in its domain. If the derivative is discontinuous at any point, the function cannot be considered continuously differentiable. However, a function may have a continuous derivative without being continuously differentiable.