How to start knowledge build-up for becoming a numerical modeler?

In summary, becoming an effective numerical modeler requires studying disciplines such as numerical methods, scientific computing, and coding. It is recommended to take courses in these subjects and also read books such as the Numerical Recipe Book series. Knowing languages like Fortran90, Python, and Java can be helpful, but it is more important to understand the concepts and be able to apply them to solve numerical problems. Learning additional languages like C or Matlab may also be beneficial.
paul143
Hi everyone,

I want to know what disciplines must I study to become an effective numerical modeler?
As a numerical modeler, I expect to be able to generate numerical solutions to mathematical problems (via programming) at the same time I want to be able to explain all aspects of my model/simulation results and other aspects of the process involved.

I am fluent in fortran90, python and java, but have never been able to apply these acquired skills in solving numerical plroblems.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a numerical methods course or two intended for physicists/engineers.

Scientific Computing would be a good course. Also check out coursera.org it has a free class on scientific computing I think.

These course notes are pretty good, a large part of it is what I covered in my computational physics/numerical methods course:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-29-numerical-fluid-mechanics-spring-2007/lecture-notes/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestion guys! Any books that you suggest I should start reading? Would it be best for me to also learn C? Matlab?

Learn how to code, forget about the language. If you already know f90 and python you won't have trouble translating MATLAB course exercises to them (but there exist several books on the subject that use those languages).

Just stick to the exercises in whatever book you use, there are a lot of "semester course size" books that have lots of example code (often matlab) and then there are bigger reference texts that are more complete (Schwartz "Numerical Analysis", rigorous but only has pseudocode.) Just head over to your library and find one you like.

1. How do I choose a field of study to become a numerical modeler?

To start building knowledge for becoming a numerical modeler, it is important to choose a field of study that interests you. This could include physics, mathematics, computer science, or any other area that utilizes numerical modeling. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in programming and data analysis.

2. What courses should I take to become a numerical modeler?

Some recommended courses for becoming a numerical modeler include calculus, differential equations, statistics, and programming languages such as Python or MATLAB. Additionally, courses specific to your desired field of study, such as fluid dynamics or climate science, can also be beneficial.

3. What skills do I need to become a successful numerical modeler?

In addition to a strong understanding of mathematics and programming, successful numerical modelers also possess critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to problem-solve. Communication skills are also important, as numerical modelers often work in teams and need to effectively convey their findings to others.

4. How can I gain practical experience as a numerical modeler?

There are several ways to gain practical experience as a numerical modeler. This includes participating in internships or research projects, attending workshops or conferences, and completing independent projects. Additionally, many universities offer courses or programs specifically focused on numerical modeling.

5. What are some useful resources for learning about numerical modeling?

There are many resources available for learning about numerical modeling. Some helpful websites include the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) websites. Additionally, textbooks, scientific journals, and online courses can also provide valuable information on numerical modeling techniques and applications.