Register to reply

Waveguide standing wave pattern

Share this thread:
JuanCarlos
Nov20-12, 11:09 PM
P: 3
Hi everybody, that's my question, I have been measuring the standing wave pattern within a waveguide (X band) using a slotted line, I put a short circuit termination and the theory said that we expect a rectified sine, but I don't get that, my result is in the picture

I can't explain my results and I have tried with two different microwave sources (10.5 GHz).

I appreciate your help.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
sophiecentaur
Nov21-12, 04:57 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,909
Quote Quote by JuanCarlos View Post
Hi everybody, that's my question, I have been measuring the standing wave pattern within a waveguide (X band) using a slotted line, I put a short circuit termination and the theory said that we expect a rectified sine, but I don't get that, my result is in the picture

I can't explain my results and I have tried with two different microwave sources (10.5 GHz).

I appreciate your help.
That looks more like the phase variation along a line than the amplitude variation. Is that possible?
sophiecentaur
Nov21-12, 04:59 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
How does that pattern change when you change the load on the end (good match / fair match / short circuit) ?

JuanCarlos
Nov21-12, 07:07 AM
Waveguide standing wave pattern

I have measured the standing wave pattern in the air using the same source and the results looks better, of course that's not a short circuit but the wave is not inclined.

I've been thinking if it is about the propagation mode.
JuanCarlos
Nov21-12, 07:12 AM
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
How does that pattern change when you change the load on the end (good match / fair match / short circuit) ?
The picture is a short circuit, and when the load is changed, the swr and the phase changes, but the wave is still inclined.

That's an arbitrary load pattern.
sophiecentaur
Nov21-12, 10:52 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
You need someone with more experience with waveguide, I think. My actual work was all on UHF and coax feeder.
If I were chasing stange things like that, I think I'd put a 3dB attenuator (resistive) in the source to improve that match and put a good terminating load at the end. If I couldn't get a flattish line then, I would be scratching my head. I could suggest that harmonics in the signal source could be setting up another standing wave which adds to the one you want? (Not relevant if you are using a 'proper' receiver but could be, if you are just using a simple detector.) Solution: filter the output of the signal source.

Register to reply