Angularly Propagating Modes In a Cylindrical Waveguide

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in a cited result for the electric field outside a metal rod in vacuum. The paper's solution seems incorrect, but the summary author later realizes their mistake and confirms the validity of the result. The conversation also includes a summary of a simpler example to illustrate the mistake made.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey all,

I was citing a result from a review paper in my paper, and I think it's wrong. I would really appreciate an outside perspective if anyone has the time!

The result was for the electric field outside a metal rod (cylindrical waveguide, if you prefer) in vacuum. Here's the picture (you can ignore the ##k_e## and ##k_\gamma## in the diagram, that's unrelated):
Picture1.png

So, the result is for the electric field for r > a. And this is specifically for waves propagating around the circumference of the cylinder, not down the axis (so the wavevector ##\vec{k}## points along ##\hat{\theta}##, NOT along ##\hat{z}##).

The result the paper gives is this: $$E_r = \frac{-\beta}{kr} H_\beta(kr) e^{i(\beta \theta - \omega t)}$$ $$E_\theta = i H_\beta '(kr) e^{i(\beta \theta - \omega t)}$$ where ##k = \sqrt{\epsilon_2} \frac{\omega}{c}## and ##H_{\beta}## are the Hankel functions of the first kind (Hankels of the first kind are chosen because they give retarded waves, while the 2nd kind gives advanced waves).

This solution doesn't seem right to me. I don't think it's even a solution of the wave equation, because the angular frequency and the radial frequencies don't match up. To prove this hunch, I did a little mathematica script to check if this solution solves the Helmholtz equation:

Code:
b = 2;
f[r_, \[Theta]_, z_] := (b/(k*r))*BesselJ[b, k*r]*Exp[I*b*\[Theta]];
(* f[r_,\[Theta]_,z_] := BesselJ[b,k*r]*Exp[\[ImaginaryI]*b*\[Theta]]; *) (*This is a test case!*)
(Laplacian[f[r, \[Theta], z], {r, \[Theta], z}, "Cylindrical"] + k^2 * f[r, \[Theta], z]) // FullSimplify

And the result is (for ##\beta = 2## as a test case):
1637219334686.png

Which is not zero!

As a sanity check, I tried the same code for a function I know solves Helmholtz's equation:

1637219428165.png

Am I right to think this solution is fishy? Or have I finally gone off the deep end?Where I got this from:
These solutions come from page 11 of this open-access review. The review cites a giant E&M textbook called "Electromagnetic Theory" by J. A. Stratton, which has a whole, massive chapter on cylindrical waveguides (Chapter VI). I'm still sifting through it, it's really dense. I'm posting here because I may run out of time before I find the answer on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welp, this one's going to be a self-solved thread. I'm wrong, the review paper is right. I found another reference that backs up the review paper. It's another textbook, this one on polariton modes. I need to still figure out what I was doing wrong when I checked it against the Helmholtz equation. These solutions seem to come out of the Hansen vector fields generated by a scalar wavefunction, so they should be rock solid. I'll post if I find a coherent answer.

Yep! Issue resolved. The trick is that I'm dumb and I took the scalar Laplacian of the ##\theta## component of the electric field, when the vector Laplacian is *not* the same as the scalar Laplacian of the cylindrical components

Tl;dr:
$$ [\nabla^2 + k^2] \vec{E} = 0 \not \rightarrow [\nabla^2 + k^2] E_\theta = 0$$

Whoops! 🤡

Likes vanhees71
That's a trap everybody gets caught in once ;-).

Yes for example consider a simpler example like ##\boldsymbol{F} = f(r) \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta}##, then \begin{align*}

\nabla^2 \boldsymbol{F} &= \nabla(\nabla \cdot \boldsymbol{F}) - \nabla \times (\nabla \times \boldsymbol{F}) \\

&= \nabla(f \nabla \cdot \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta} + \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta} \cdot \nabla f) - \nabla \times (f \nabla \times \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta} + \nabla f \times \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta})

\end{align*}Since ##\nabla f = \boldsymbol{e}_{r} \partial_{r} f##, it follows from the orthogonality of the basis that ##\boldsymbol{e}_{\theta} \cdot \nabla f = 0##. Furthermore,\begin{align*}

\nabla \times \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta} &= \dfrac{1}{r} \boldsymbol{e}_{z} \\

\mathrm{and} \ \ \ \nabla \cdot \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta} &= 0

\end{align*}so it follows that\begin{align*}

\nabla^2 \boldsymbol{F} &= -\nabla \times \left(\left( \dfrac{f}{r} + \partial_{r} f \right) \boldsymbol{e}_{z}\right) \\

&= \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta} \dfrac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \dfrac{f}{r} + \partial_{r} f\right) \\

&= \boldsymbol{e}_{\theta} \left( -\dfrac{f}{r^2} + \dfrac{1}{r} \partial_{r} f + \partial_{r}^2 f\right)

\end{align*}So ##(\nabla^2 \boldsymbol{F})_{\theta} = -\dfrac{f}{r^2} + \dfrac{1}{r} \partial_{r} f + \partial_{r}^2 f##. On the other hand, \begin{align*}

\nabla^2 F_{\theta} = \nabla^2 f = \dfrac{1}{r} \partial_{r} \left( r \partial_{r} f\right) = \dfrac{1}{r} \partial_{r} f + \partial_{r}^2 f \neq (\nabla^2 \boldsymbol{F})_{\theta}

\end{align*}

Last edited:
Likes Twigg and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
That's a trap everybody gets caught in once ;-).
It's the "once" part that gets me o0)

• Haha
Likes vanhees71

1. What is a cylindrical waveguide?

A cylindrical waveguide is a type of transmission line used in radio frequency and microwave engineering. It is a hollow metal tube with a cylindrical shape, typically made of copper, that is used to guide electromagnetic waves from one point to another.

2. What are angularly propagating modes in a cylindrical waveguide?

Angularly propagating modes refer to the different ways in which electromagnetic waves can travel through a cylindrical waveguide. These modes are characterized by the angle at which the waves propagate relative to the axis of the waveguide.

3. How are angularly propagating modes classified?

Angularly propagating modes are classified based on the number of half-wavelengths that fit along the circumference of the waveguide. The fundamental mode, also known as TE11 mode, has one half-wavelength along the circumference. Higher order modes have more half-wavelengths and are denoted as TE21, TE01, etc.

4. What is the significance of angularly propagating modes in a cylindrical waveguide?

Understanding the angularly propagating modes in a cylindrical waveguide is important in designing and analyzing microwave circuits. Each mode has a different propagation constant and cutoff frequency, which affects the transmission and attenuation of signals in the waveguide.

5. How are angularly propagating modes excited in a cylindrical waveguide?

Angularly propagating modes can be excited in a cylindrical waveguide through various methods, such as using a coaxial cable or a horn antenna. The mode that is excited depends on the frequency and the geometry of the waveguide and the excitation source.