Laptop for CAD Software (Entry Level)

In summary, a laptop that is about 3 years old and has a Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, and an ATI graphics card will be able to handle most design software.
ptrpan
As suggested on my last post 'how to become a design engineer' self practice is the key to learn a design program to a competent level.. At this point, I am looking for a computer so to be able to train myself, refresh my pro/E skills, and be able to apply what I read in tutorials and watch videos online.
As my current status allows only a portable device, (and not looking to invest for a workstation that early) my question is if a decent core i5 laptop with an Inter HD4000 graphic card and 4, 6 or even 8 GB RAM is strong enough to run design software (SolidWorks, pro/E, Inventor, AutoCAD, CATIA, etc), so i can design parts and assembly.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Pretty much any new laptop will handle those programs fairly well.
The laptop I'm typing this on is a 5 year old Sony Vaio laptop, 2GHz dual core, 32 bit Vista (Ya-ya-ya, I know Vista is rubbish), 3GB of RAM, a 256MB ATI graphics card and 500 GB hard drive. It has handled Autodesk AutoCAD and Inventor 2008 and 2010 with ease, only lagging when a large number of assembly files are being run simultaneously.
Most new laptops will meet or exceed this spec easily.
The only really constructive advice I can give you is "what size laptop are you willing to lug around." A high resolution screen is a must have and a bigger screen is always nice except for the fact that the weight goes up and so does the power consumption.

Oh, good to know... does the same apply for a new core i3 then? if it could handle that software, I would be happy to reduce cost...

I'm not too familiar with the new Intel products but just a quick glance says it should. However I would say try to get the best processor, graphics card (if applicable) and screen you can. The RAM and hard drive can always be upgraded at a later date but the first three are are either very difficult if not impossible to replace.

On the contrary, I have had nothing but trouble running newer versions of SolidWorks and Pro/E on my laptop, even when it was new and the software was current to that time.

For reference, I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T400:
Intel Core 2 Duo P9500 @ 2.53 GHz
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro x64
ATI Radeon HD3400 Series GPU

It really struggled then and it really struggles now, largely on account of the GPU having a hard time rendering the parts. Laptops just really aren't all that good for CAD work with any of the newer 3-D programs. It kind of sucks because it means I am pretty well tethered to my workstation when I need to do some design work.

System Requirements:

http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-inventor/system-requirements/
http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

I've never used solidworks on my laptop before so I can't comment on it. Boneh3ad, what kind processes were you trying to run?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im using a HP pavillion DV6 running Core i5 2450m, 6GB ram, AMD Radeon HD 7490M and 750GB hard drive and it runs solidworks and AutoCAD flawlessly. Good thing is that as well as the dedicated Radeon HD graphics card, it also has onboard Intel HD3000 and it automatically switches over to the dedicated Radeon Card if the intel HD struggles. Was £450 about 3 months ago by the way

Couldn't really do any processes. Like I said, I don't think the video card had the strength to render the parts even fast enough to rotate the part without lagging horribly. It's fine though, since there are very few reasons to ever do CAD on a laptop.

i've found a Dell, core i5 3210M, ati radeon 7670 1GB, and 6GB or RAM
is it strong enough to run these programs?

It's better than my work laptop that runs Autodesk Inventor, so it should be fine.

What is a CAD software?

A CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software is a specialized computer program used for creating, modifying, analyzing, and optimizing designs for a wide range of industries, such as architecture, engineering, and manufacturing. It allows for precise and detailed 2D and 3D modeling and simulation of objects and structures.

Why do I need a specific laptop for CAD software?

CAD software requires a powerful and efficient computer to run smoothly. These programs use complex algorithms and require a lot of processing power and memory. A regular laptop may not have the necessary specifications to handle the demands of CAD software, leading to slow performance and potential crashes.

What are the minimum requirements for a laptop to run CAD software?

The minimum requirements for a laptop to run CAD software include a fast processor (i5 or higher), at least 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card. It is also recommended to have a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster storage and loading times. Additionally, make sure to check the system requirements for the specific CAD software you will be using.

Can I use a gaming laptop for CAD software?

Yes, in most cases, a gaming laptop can be a good option for running CAD software. Gaming laptops are designed with powerful processors, high RAM, and dedicated graphics cards to handle demanding games. These specifications are also suitable for running CAD software. However, it is still important to check the specific system requirements for the CAD software you will be using.

What is the best budget-friendly laptop for CAD software?

Some good budget-friendly options for laptops that can run CAD software include the Lenovo ThinkPad P52, Dell Precision 3540, and HP ZBook 15u G6. These laptops have the necessary specifications and are specifically designed for professional use at a more affordable price point.