3D Printing and CAD for Robotics

In summary, Autodesk AutoCAD is a complicated program that may be able to do what you need, but there are other programs that may be more suitable.
jonahsaltzman
Hello!

First post here at the forum. I am a member of the underwater robotics team at my school, and I have been put in charge of building the arm. I won't get too specific about the design of it, but it will include gears, motors, and stuff in between. Luckily enough, my school owns a 3D printer that I can use. My supervisor told me that a good place to start would be to design the arm in a CAD program, and then print each piece of that design with the printer. So I got Autodesk AutoCAD, which is the most complicated program I have ever used. Is it even the right program to use for this project? I also noticed an Autodesk program called "Inventor", and another called "AutoCAD Mechanical", both of which seem like they may also be able to do what I need. I am really lost here; should I be using any of these programs? And if so, could anyone maybe point me to a tutorial specific to my project? I tried a couple of more general tutorials, but they were either too simple (explaining the user interface) or too advanced (stuff I have never heard of and which do not apply to my needs). The reason why I don't want to simply use a 3D modeling program like Blender is because I know that many CAD programs can run simulations of your design, which would be of great use to me, as I need to know if the gears are placed correctly, are the right size, etc., before I go ahead and print all the pieces. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start with this project? I don't even know what software to use. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not much of a CAD person myself but several of my friends use ProEngineer at my university. I have seen them do some pretty cool animations and stress analyses using this program. It might be something worth looking into.

ProE is good. Solidworks has some nice tools. Some of our engineers use Siemens/UGS software. Most of the better CAD companies make moduals for doing 3D modeling including animation and stress analysis. However, they are a lot more expensive than the basic software you are looking at right now. Definately worth looking into if you are looking to do this for a living.

1. What is 3D printing and how does it relate to robotics?

3D printing is a manufacturing process that involves creating three-dimensional objects by laying down successive layers of material. This technology is often used in robotics to create custom parts and prototypes quickly and efficiently.

2. What is CAD and how is it used in robotics?

CAD stands for Computer-Aided Design and it is a software tool used for creating detailed designs and models of objects. In robotics, CAD is used to create digital designs of robot parts and components before they are manufactured using 3D printing.

3. Can 3D printing be used to create entire robots?

Yes, 3D printing has advanced to the point where it is possible to create entire robots using this technology. However, it is more commonly used to create specific parts or components of a robot rather than the entire robot itself.

4. Is CAD difficult to learn and use?

CAD software can be complex and may require some training to use efficiently. However, there are many user-friendly CAD programs available that are designed specifically for beginners and those without a technical background.

5. How has 3D printing and CAD impacted the field of robotics?

The use of 3D printing and CAD has greatly impacted the field of robotics by allowing for faster and more efficient prototyping and production of robot parts. It has also made it easier to create custom and intricate designs, leading to advancements in robotics technology and design.