I REALLY with this probability equation

• Thread starter SarahKreme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the person is looking for help with calculating the probability of getting specific stats in a video game. They provide an example of the stats and combinations they are looking for and mention the use of unique and legendary lines. They also mention needing the equations used to determine the outcomes. The summarized solution involves multiplying individual probabilities and factoring in the number of possible positions for the desired stats.
SarahKreme
Okay, so... I'm not sure this is even the proper place to post this, but I do know this is the proper place to possibly find the answer to this, being that I'm sure there are people who are MUCH BETTER at math than I am...

So, I play this game, and I've pretty much got everything down, but it's a very very VERY "CHANCE" heavy game... like, you know, upgrading your equipment starts at 10%, and you can get it boosted up to 50% total, that stuff is easy for me, but then there are OTHER THINGS that have began to confuse me, and I want to know the total number of combinations POSSIBLE for anyone item, and then I need someone to figure out the chance of me getting the one combination I'm looking for on a 5 line piece of equipment...

This is basically how it works...

Eye accessory
LUK% 1
DEX% 2
INT% 3
STR% 4
ALL STATS% 5
Accuracy 6
Avoidability 7
W.DEF (% or number) 8+9
M.DEF (% or number) 10+11
Max HP/MP 12+13

There isn't just 13 values above, there are 26 because I can either get a unique line, or legendary line, and I can only get 5 of these lines, which means I could get luk% dex% str% int% and all stats%, but any of those lines could either be unique lines or legendary lines.

(Note, unique is 9%, legendary is 12%)

So it may look like THIS:
luk 12% or 9%
dex 9% or 12%
str 9% or 12%
int 12% or 9%
all stats 9% or 12%

Now here's where the math actually comes in, and this is the part I don't understand...
I need to know the probability of getting 3 lines of int 12% on a five line piece of equipment...
SO I want my equipment to look like this(Sort of)

int 12%
int 12%
int 12%
anything!
anything!

I know there are 26 values, and I need to go down the line multiplying by the next number like 26*25*24*23 (etc. etc. etc...)

BUT I don't know how to figure out the PROBABILITY of getting the 3 lines I WANT. Could someone please help a girl out? PLEASE? :<

ALSO It would be GREATLY appreciated if you gave me the equations you used to determine the out comes as well, if you wouldn't mind!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As a good approximation, you can neglect items with 4 or more 12%-int. In that case, you can calculate the probability of (12%int, 12%int, 12%int, something else, something else) in that order - just multiply the individual probabilities. And then you have to multiply the result with 15, as there are 15 possible positions for those 3 12%int-stats.

In a similar way, you get items with 4 times 12%-int by calculating the probability of (12%int, 12%int, 12%int, 12%int, something else) and a factor of 5 (5 options where "something else" can appear), and items with 5 times 12%-int (no additional factor here).
Add them, and you are done.

You might consider 4 times 9%-int as well, as it could be similar to 3 times 12%-int.

1. What is a probability equation?

A probability equation is a mathematical formula that is used to calculate the likelihood of an event occurring. It takes into account all the possible outcomes and assigns a numerical value to the likelihood of each outcome.

2. How is a probability equation used in science?

In science, probability equations are used to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. They are often used in experiments to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome and to analyze the results.

3. Can you give an example of a probability equation?

One example of a probability equation is the binomial distribution, which is used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a series of independent trials. Another example is the normal distribution, which is used to calculate the probability of a continuous variable falling within a certain range of values.

4. How accurate are probability equations?

The accuracy of a probability equation depends on the assumptions and data used in its calculation. In some cases, probability equations can accurately predict outcomes, while in others they may only provide an estimate or approximation.

5. Are probability equations only used in science?

No, probability equations are used in many fields and industries, including finance, economics, engineering, and social sciences. They are also used in everyday life, such as in predicting weather patterns or the likelihood of winning a game of chance.