Intro to Symbolic Logic: Replacement Rules

In summary: Basically the problem starts with these given premises:1. ~ (A ∨ (B⊃T))2. (A ⋅ C) ∨ (W ⊃ ~D)3. ~(P ∨ T) ⊃ D4. ~P ≡ ~(T ⋅ S)From these premises, I must prove ∴ ~W. This is what I have done so far:5. (~P ⊃ ~(T ⋅ S)) ⋅ (~(T ⋅ S) ⊃ ~P) B.E. 46. ~P ⊃
Mikaelochi
TL;DR Summary
In Virginia Klenk's book Understanding Symbolic Logic (5th edition), I am having trouble with problem 7b in Unit 8 which deals with the replacement rules.
Basically the problem starts with these given premises:
1. ~ (A ∨ (B⊃T))
2. (A ⋅ C) ∨ (W ⊃ ~D)
3. ~(P ∨ T) ⊃ D
4. ~P ≡ ~(T ⋅ S)
And from these premises, I must prove ∴ ~W. This is what I have done so far:
5. (~P ⊃ ~(T ⋅ S)) ⋅ (~(T ⋅ S) ⊃ ~P) B.E. 4
6. ~P ⊃ ~(T ⋅ S) Simp. 5
7. ~(T ⋅ S) ⊃ ~P Simp. 5
8. ~P ⊃ (~T ∨ ~S) DeM. 6
9. (~T ∨ ~S) ⊃ ~P DeM. 7
10. (~P ⋅ ~T) ⊃ D DeM. 3
11. (~A ⋅ ~(B ⊃ T)) DeM. 1
12. ~A Simp. 11
13. ~A ∨ ~C Add. 12
14. ~(A ⋅ C) DeM. 13
15. W ⊃ ~D D.S. 2, 14
To get ~W, all I need is D which I can restate as ~~D. But to get D, I need to get ~(P ∨ T). And the only way I know how to get ~(P ∨ T) is to get (~P ⋅ ~T). So, I would need ~P and ~T alone. I have no idea how to do that. Perhaps this approach is wrong. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. This problem feels borderline impossible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not familiar with the book and don't have it at hand. Are you given any leeway in the method you use to prove this? What you could do is show
[tex]
1. \land 2. \land 3 \land 4. \Rightarrow \neg W
[/tex]
is a tautology. If it's not a tautology, then ##\neg W ## doesn't follow from the premises.

Mikaelochi said:
1. ~ (A ∨ (B⊃T))

Is "T" used to denote a proposition with an unspecified truth value? or does it denote a proposition that has the truth value "True"?

Does the ##\cdot## stand for 'and'?

Last edited:
Likes nuuskur
You’ve done DeMorgan’s on premise 1. What happens if you convert the conditional to a conjunction?

Likes Mikaelochi and Stephen Tashi
Mikaelochi said:

Basically the problem starts with these given premises:
1. ~ (A ∨ (B⊃T))
2. (A ⋅ C) ∨ (W ⊃ ~D)
3. ~(P ∨ T) ⊃ D
4. ~P ≡ ~(T ⋅ S)
So, I would need ~P and ~T alone.

Take @TeethWhitener suggestion and get ##(\sim A) \cdot B \cdot( \sim T)## from 1.
Then use 4. to get ##\sim P##.

Likes Mikaelochi
Stephen Tashi said:
Is "T" used to denote a proposition with an unspecified truth value? or does it denote a proposition that has the truth value "True"?
No, T is just a symbol representing a claim like A & B.

WWGD said:
Does the ##\cdot## stand for 'and'?
Yeah, it stands for "and."

TeethWhitener said:
You’ve done DeMorgan’s on premise 1. What happens if you convert the conditional to a conjunction?
I've pieced it together now. Thank you!

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the representation of logical relationships and arguments using symbols and formal rules. It is used to analyze and evaluate the logical validity of statements and arguments.

2. What are replacement rules in symbolic logic?

Replacement rules, also known as substitution rules, are logical rules that allow for the substitution of certain symbols or terms with others while preserving the truth value of an argument. They are used to simplify and transform logical expressions in order to evaluate their validity.

3. How do replacement rules work?

Replacement rules work by replacing a symbol or term with another symbol or term that has the same meaning or truth value. For example, the replacement rule "P → Q" can be used to substitute "P" with "Q" in an argument, as long as both symbols have the same truth value.

4. What are some common replacement rules used in symbolic logic?

Some common replacement rules used in symbolic logic include the commutative, associative, and distributive laws, as well as De Morgan's laws. These rules can be used to simplify logical expressions and arguments, making them easier to evaluate.

5. Why is understanding replacement rules important in symbolic logic?

Understanding replacement rules is important in symbolic logic because they allow for the manipulation and simplification of logical expressions and arguments, making it easier to evaluate their validity. They also help to identify and correct errors in reasoning, leading to more accurate and logical conclusions.