Stuck on Derivation (Natural Deduction)

In summary, we can prove that R -> (X v V) by assuming the opposite and using the law of excluded middle to reach a contradiction. This shows that R implies either X or V, which is equivalent to R -> (X v V).
DragonPoopa
1. ((N ⊃ P) ⊃ (I ⊃ P)) ⊃ ((P ⊃ I) ⊃ P) P

2. (I v X) ≡ (R ⊃ P) P

3. R ⊃ (I ⊃ (N ^ V)) P

4. R A

5. Reiteration of 3

6. I ⊃ (N ^ V) 3,4 ⊃E

7. I A
8. I v X 7, vI
9. Reiteration of 2
10. R ⊃ P 8,9 ≡E
11. R 4R
12. P 10,11 ⊃E
13. I ⊃ P 7-12 ⊃I

14. N ⊃ P A
15. I ⊃ P 13 R
16. (N ⊃ P) ⊃ (I ⊃ P) 14-15 ⊃I

17. Reiteration of 1

18. (P ⊃ I) ⊃ P 16, 17 ⊃E

Conclusion: R ⊃ (X v V)

Hello!

I got up to this point in my work. I realized that I have to somehow get I v V out to the scope line of R, but I am not sure how to go about this. I am thinking of (P -> I) or (R -> P), but I don't know how from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Apparently, this requires a proof by contradiction or the law of excluded middle. So we assume that R and ~(X v V). The latter implies ~X and ~V. From ~V follows ~(N /\ V), and I -> N /\ V gives ~I. Together with ~X this implies ~(I \/ X), which by the second premise gives R /\ ~P. ~I implies I -> P and (N -> P) -> (I -> P), so from the first premise we have (P -> I) -> P. Then ~P proves P -> I, and we have P and ~P, a contradiction.

I am not sure if there is a shorter proof. I generated a formal proof in a proof assistant program, but it is also not very short.

1. What is "Stuck on Derivation" in natural deduction?

"Stuck on Derivation" refers to a common problem encountered while using natural deduction in logic. It occurs when a proof cannot progress any further due to a lack of available rules or assumptions.

2. How do you know when you are "Stuck on Derivation"?

When you are unable to make any further deductions or inferences using the available rules and assumptions, you are likely "Stuck on Derivation". This can also be indicated by a lack of progress in the proof or the inability to reach the desired conclusion.

3. What strategies can be used to overcome being "Stuck on Derivation"?

One strategy is to go back and review the previous steps in the proof to check for errors or missed opportunities for deductions. Another strategy is to introduce new assumptions or rules that may help progress the proof. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a logic expert or consult additional resources.

4. How can "Stuck on Derivation" be prevented?

To prevent getting "Stuck on Derivation", it is important to carefully plan and organize the steps of the proof before starting. This includes identifying any potential roadblocks or gaps in the logic and being familiar with a variety of rules and strategies for natural deduction. It can also be helpful to practice and gain experience in using natural deduction.

5. Are there any common mistakes that lead to being "Stuck on Derivation"?

Yes, some common mistakes that can lead to being "Stuck on Derivation" include incorrect application of rules, failure to properly use available assumptions, and missing key connections or inferences. It is important to carefully check each step of the proof and to have a thorough understanding of the rules and logic involved.