Interpretation of finite element analysis results

In summary, the FEA may show that the lug will not fail even if the hand calcs (usually conservative) do not, but you need to be sure that your material properties and load application are correct. The load is applied on the geometry (surface), and if you have a very coarse mesh, you may have issues. The pre-processor & code you are using may make it difficult to refine the mesh locally without affecting the entire mesh.
Fugro
Hi,

Recently started with FEA - loving it, at least the modelling / load application part.

Interpreting the results is tricky - particularly around where loads are applied.

Got a project (no pics sorry) which has a drilled hole in a plate, and have applied the load as a a pressure, representatve of a bolt bearing on the face.

When doing a linear static solve, area around the contact point goes white (i.e. stress capped at yeild), then rest of region up to the closest edge goes to acceptable stress levels (using von mises).

Using hand cals for tearout and bearing, the plate is fine. Using FEA confuses things, and what do i write in a report to say that the lug won't fail (despite the yeild).

Should get some pics in a few days.

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would the FEA show failure if your hand calcs (usually conservative) do not?
Are you sure that your material properties and load application are correct in the FEA?

How is your load applied...on the geometry or on the mesh?
What is your mesh density in that area... do you have a fine enough mesh? If you've applied the load on the geometry (surface), and you have a very coarse mesh, you may have issues. What pre-processor & code are you using... some make it difficult to refine the mesh locally without affecting the entire mesh.
How are you viewing the results... are you looking at contours that are averaged at the element centroid?

My guess is that you have applied the stress around the hole as a pressure, and when you look at the maximum it is giving you the stress at the hole, which will have a concentration factor. What you want is the stress on the plate outside of the area where this pressure is being applied. When I do this, I make the part of the plate that the bolt is acting on a different element to that of the rest of the plate so I can turn it off and it only shows me the outside results.

I think this will help you.

I understand the challenges of interpreting FEA results, especially when it comes to load application. It is important to remember that FEA is a tool and not a perfect representation of the real world. While it can provide valuable insights, it should not be the sole basis for design decisions. It is always a good idea to validate FEA results with hand calculations and physical testing.

In your case, with the drilled hole and applied load, it is not uncommon for the stress to be capped at yield in the area around the contact point. This could be due to the mesh size, material properties, or other factors. It is important to carefully review and understand the assumptions and limitations of the FEA model.

When reporting your results, it is important to clearly state the assumptions made and any limitations of the FEA model. You can also include a comparison with hand calculations and any physical testing that has been done. This will help to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the results and give confidence in the design.

In terms of the plate not failing despite the yield, it could be due to the material having a larger margin of safety or the applied load not being a worst-case scenario. Again, it is important to carefully review and understand the results and any potential factors that could affect the outcome.

I hope this helps in your interpretation of FEA results. Remember to always validate and verify your results and to use FEA as a tool, not the final decision-maker. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of interpreting finite element analysis results?

The purpose of interpreting finite element analysis results is to gain a deeper understanding of the behavior and performance of a structure or system under different conditions. It allows for the identification of potential design flaws, optimization of designs, and prediction of structural response to external forces.

2. What are the common methods used for interpreting finite element analysis results?

The common methods for interpreting finite element analysis results include visual inspection of plots and animations, comparison of results to analytical or experimental data, and post-processing techniques such as stress and strain analysis, modal analysis, and fatigue analysis.

3. How accurate are the results obtained from finite element analysis?

The accuracy of finite element analysis results depends on various factors such as the complexity of the model, the quality of the mesh, and the accuracy of the input parameters. Generally, the results are considered to be within an acceptable range of accuracy for engineering applications, but it is important to validate the results through comparison with experimental data.

4. How can assumptions made during the modeling stage affect the interpretation of finite element analysis results?

The assumptions made during the modeling stage can have a significant impact on the interpretation of finite element analysis results. If the assumptions do not accurately represent the real-world conditions, the results may be inaccurate and misleading. It is important to carefully consider all assumptions and their potential effects on the results.

5. Can finite element analysis results be used for design optimization?

Yes, finite element analysis results can be used for design optimization by identifying areas of high stress or strain and making changes to the design to improve its performance. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the analysis and validate the results before implementing any changes to the design.