(Composite) In plane principal stress or normal stress?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finite element modeling of composite structures and how to interpret stress analysis. It was mentioned that for isotropic materials, principal stresses can be compared to allowable stresses to determine failure. However, for composites, there is a debate on whether to use in-plane principal stress or normal stress. Some research suggests that both values may be the same at times, but not always. It was also discussed how to model a problem in FEA when the fiber directions and types are not known. Overall, the conversation was focused on gaining knowledge and contributing to the understanding of composite FEA.
iqjump123
Hey everybody,

I went through a discussion with a colleague today about Finite element modeling of composite structures and how to interpret the stress analysis.

I understand that for isotropic materials, principal stresses could be used against the allowable stresses to see if failure will occur. (or von mises vs yield)

For composites, would there be a preference of using the in plane principal stress vs using the normal stress? Some research online tells me that there will be times when both of them will be the same value, but sometimes it won't be- when it is not equal, what value should be used?

Also, when the orientation of the plies in composite materials is not well known, as well as the fiber type (unidirectional, etc), would using principal stress be more accurate or normal stress be more accurate?

Thanks everybody in advance for your insights.

Hi,

I am just trying to learn the same.

I guess the right way to do it would be fine in plane stresses for each laminate and the compare it with failure criteria.

And if you don't know the exact fiber directions, how do you model your problem in FEA?

I am a novice in "Composite" FEA but am willing to learn and contribute.

We can discuss here or PM me

1. What is (Composite) In plane principal stress or normal stress?

(Composite) In plane principal stress or normal stress is a type of stress that occurs within a plane of an object or material. It is the combination of normal stress, which is perpendicular to the plane, and shear stress, which is parallel to the plane. In (composite) materials, the principal stresses can be different in different directions due to the anisotropic nature of the material.

2. What are the equations for calculating (Composite) In plane principal stress or normal stress?

The equations for calculating (Composite) In plane principal stress or normal stress are the normal stress equation, which is σ = F/A, and the shear stress equation, which is τ = F/A.

3. What is the difference between (Composite) In plane principal stress and (Composite) In plane normal stress?

The main difference between (Composite) In plane principal stress and (Composite) In plane normal stress is that (Composite) In plane principal stress takes into account both the normal and shear stresses within the plane, while (Composite) In plane normal stress only considers the normal stress. In other words, (Composite) In plane principal stress is a combination of (Composite) In plane normal stress and shear stress.

4. How does (Composite) In plane principal stress affect the strength of a material?

(Composite) In plane principal stress can significantly affect the strength of a material because it takes into account both the normal and shear stresses within the plane. If the principal stresses are high, it can cause the material to fail due to tensile or compressive forces. Additionally, if the principal stresses are not evenly distributed, it can lead to the material being weaker in certain areas.

5. How is (Composite) In plane principal stress used in engineering and material design?

(Composite) In plane principal stress is used extensively in engineering and material design to analyze and predict the behavior of materials under different loading conditions. It helps engineers determine the maximum stress a material can withstand before it fails, and also aids in optimizing the design of structures to ensure they can withstand the expected stresses. In addition, (Composite) In plane principal stress is also used in the development and testing of advanced materials for various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.