FEA Results Interpretation for a Pin Support

In summary, the conversation is about FEA analysis of a jib crane using Autodesk Inventor. The results show that the max Von Mises stress in the support pin is 773 MPa, which exceeds the yield strength of the Carbon Steel. It is suggested to carefully analyze the boundary conditions, mesh density, and potential geometry issues that may be causing the high result. Further information is needed on the mesh density and boundary conditions used for the pin support.
mohamedibr752
Greetings to all,

I am doing FEA analysis of a jib crane. I am using Autodesk Inventor.

The results show that the max Von Mises stress in the support pin is 773 MPa. This value exceeds the yield strength of the Carbon Steel. Does this mean that the Pin will fail under load ?

Full Assembly.jpg

Boom Support Pin_Stress.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
It could mean that, but you need to do a careful analysis of your boundary conditions, mesh density, and potential geometry issues that might be causing an artificially high result.

What does your mesh density look like on the pin, and what boundary conditions are you using to support it in the plate?

1. What is a pin support in FEA?

A pin support, also known as a simply supported boundary condition, is a type of constraint used in FEA to model a physical pin or hinge connection between two components. It allows for rotation but restricts translation, meaning that the component can pivot around the pin but cannot move in any other direction.

2. How do I interpret the results of a pin support in FEA?

The results of a pin support in FEA can be interpreted by examining the displacement and reaction forces at the pin location. The displacement will show the amount of rotation and the reaction forces will show the amount of force required to maintain the pin support.

3. What are common errors when interpreting pin support results in FEA?

Common errors when interpreting pin support results in FEA include not understanding the physical limitations of a pin support, such as the inability to resist bending moments, and not accounting for the effects of pin rotation on neighboring components. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of a pin support in order to accurately interpret the results.

4. How can I validate the accuracy of my pin support results in FEA?

The accuracy of pin support results in FEA can be validated through a variety of techniques, such as comparing the results to hand calculations, performing sensitivity analyses, and verifying the results with physical testing. It is also important to ensure that the FEA model is properly meshed and that all relevant loading and boundary conditions are included.

5. Are there any best practices for interpreting pin support results in FEA?

Some best practices for interpreting pin support results in FEA include thoroughly understanding the physical behavior of the pin support, carefully examining the displacement and reaction forces, and considering the effects of pin rotation on neighboring components. It is also important to validate the results and communicate any assumptions or limitations in the interpretation.