Register to reply

Ligands and lowering reduction potential

by Chickenpoxpie
Tags: ligands, reduction potentials
Share this thread:
Chickenpoxpie
Nov26-12, 01:41 PM
P: 8
Hi I have a question I was wondering if y'all could clear up. Lets say I have two metal cations, Iron (III) and Manganese (II). Will binding them to an anionic ligand lower their reduction potentials (making each a better redundant) and if so why?

Is it because the anionic charge of the ligand stabilizes the positive charge of the metals?

What if the ligand binds with a high coordination number (say 5 or 6). Will that further reduce the reduction potential because now the entire complex has a negative charge and is better able to donate electrons (ie good reluctant)?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
A new synthetic amino acid for an emerging class of drugs
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Borek
Nov26-12, 03:53 PM
Admin
P: 23,592
Basically it is about the concentration of the free metal. You can safely assume what is happening is that it is free metal that reacts, and ligands just change its concentration. Once you know the concentration, it is just a matter of applying Nernst equation.
chemisttree
Nov27-12, 11:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Quote Quote by Chickenpoxpie View Post
Hi I have a question I was wondering if y'all could clear up. Lets say I have two metal cations, Iron (III) and Manganese (II). Will binding them to an anionic ligand lower their reduction potentials (making each a better redundant) and if so why?

Is it because the anionic charge of the ligand stabilizes the positive charge of the metals?

What if the ligand binds with a high coordination number (say 5 or 6). Will that further reduce the reduction potential because now the entire complex has a negative charge and is better able to donate electrons (ie good reluctant)?
Yes, that's exactly how it works. Read up on Cytochrome p450 and you will see this effect in action.

Register to reply