Energy Efficiency and Transfer

by gunguy702
Tags: efficiency, energy, transfer
gunguy702
Nov26-12, 06:26 PM
P: 1
Hello,
First of all this is a fun sidetrack thing. I'm looking for the safest and most efficient molecule that could be split or combined or some way to produce force.Could it be put in a motor-type device and therefore be used as a motor?BTW, this is for like a car.Could Salt Water produce electricity that could be stored in a battery and therefore be in a car?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A 'quantum leap' in encryption technology
Using antineutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors
Bake your own droplet lens
mfb
Nov27-12, 09:01 AM
Mentor
P: 10,864
I think you have some mechanism in mind which does not work, but your question is a bit vague.

You can produce hydrogen via electrolysis and store it to power a fuel cell afterwards - I think the efficiency electric->electric is something like ~50%. Electric->mechanical is close to 100%, that does not matter much.
Batteries use other chemical components, but not salt water (why salt water?).
Petrol and oxygen can be used in a motor, too - it is impractical to produce petrol from scratch, but it can be made out of (parts of) oil of course.
sophiecentaur
Nov27-12, 09:49 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,398
Quote Quote by gunguy702 View Post
Hello,
First of all this is a fun sidetrack thing. I'm looking for the safest and most efficient molecule that could be split or combined or some way to produce force.Could it be put in a motor-type device and therefore be used as a motor?BTW, this is for like a car.Could Salt Water produce electricity that could be stored in a battery and therefore be in a car?
Are you thinking in terms of the mechanism that operates in our muscles?

Register to reply