Is it possible to harvest energy from fluid buoyancy?

In summary: Ahmad Esber -- Please follow the links in the quote below from the PF list of Banned Topics. They should help you understand why your idea will not work. Thread is closed.
Ahmad Esber
So I've noticed my little sister's helium balloons floating at the ceiling. Made me wonder if someone could create a device that could harvest energy from this buoyancy. What if I tied a very long rope to a huge balloon filled with helium, and rolled the other end of the rope to a gear attached to a generator of sort. As the balloon goes up, the rope would rotate the gear, generating electricity. Would that work? more importantly, would it be efficient to make such a device?

English isn't my first language, so I apologize in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
But once the balloon is all the way up, then it stops.

Khashishi said:
But once the balloon is all the way up, then it stops.
What if we made a device that automatically deflates the balloon when it reaches the top? The balloon drops to the ground, tie the rope again.

Ahmad Esber said:
What if we made a device that automatically deflates the balloon when it reaches the top? The balloon drops to the ground, tie the rope again.
We do not discuss perpetual motion here. Not even to tell you why it cannot work.

So, either you are compressing the helium at the top (which takes energy) to reuse it, or you are just letting the helium escape and filling it with new helium at the bottom. Well, you quickly run out of helium that way, and it costs too much to harvest new helium.

Likes Ahmad Esber
jbriggs444 said:
We do not discuss perpetual motion here. Not even to tell you why it cannot work.
Correct.

@Ahmad Esber -- Please follow the links in the quote below from the PF list of Banned Topics. They should help you understand why your idea will not work. Thread is closed.

Banned Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

Likes Ahmad Esber

1. Can energy be harvested from fluid buoyancy?

Yes, it is possible to harvest energy from fluid buoyancy. This process involves utilizing the difference in density between two fluids to generate power.

2. How does fluid buoyancy energy harvesting work?

Fluid buoyancy energy harvesting works by using a device called a buoyancy converter. This device consists of a chamber with two fluids of different densities, such as air and water. As the fluids move, the difference in density causes a pressure difference, which can be used to generate electricity.

3. What are the benefits of harvesting energy from fluid buoyancy?

Harvesting energy from fluid buoyancy has several benefits, including being a renewable and sustainable energy source, as well as being cost-effective and environmentally friendly. It also has the potential to be used in a wide range of applications, such as in ocean power plants and in powering small devices.

4. Are there any challenges associated with fluid buoyancy energy harvesting?

One of the main challenges of fluid buoyancy energy harvesting is the efficiency of the process. The conversion of fluid buoyancy into usable energy is not yet highly efficient, and there is ongoing research to improve this. Additionally, the design and maintenance of the buoyancy converter can be complex and require specialized knowledge.

5. How can fluid buoyancy energy harvesting be used in real-world applications?

Fluid buoyancy energy harvesting has the potential to be used in various real-world applications, such as in offshore energy production, powering remote sensors and devices, and even in the transportation industry. It can also be used in conjunction with other renewable energy sources to create hybrid systems for increased efficiency and reliability.