Register to reply

How to determine elements based on received frequency from Space?

Share this thread:
junk0
Nov27-12, 10:18 AM
P: 40
I would like to know on how to determine the elements based on received frequency from Space?
Such as water H2O
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find the reference materials?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Eclipsing binary stars discovered by high school students
Swirling electrons in the whirlpool galaxy
Curiosity brushes 'Bonanza king' target anticipating fourth red planet rock drilling
Drakkith
Nov27-12, 11:05 AM
Mentor
P: 11,833
Spectroscopy! Search on Google or Wiki for it and you should find loads of info.
junk0
Nov27-12, 06:29 PM
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Spectroscopy! Search on Google or Wiki for it and you should find loads of info.
It is hard to find any referrence library to search elements based on Spectroscopy, I find nothing with the first 2 pages of Google search.

I would like to know what the elements are on specific frequency of electromagnetic wave.

Does anyone have any suggested reference link? so I can look into it.

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Drakkith
Nov28-12, 04:06 AM
Mentor
P: 11,833
How to determine elements based on received frequency from Space?

I found the following site, it seems to have a LOT of results. I typed in 4500-4600 for the wavelength range and it gave me about 500 results.

http://www.pa.uky.edu/~peter/atomic/
junk0
Nov28-12, 04:39 AM
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I found the following site, it seems to have a LOT of results. I typed in 4500-4600 for the wavelength range and it gave me about 500 results.

http://www.pa.uky.edu/~peter/atomic/
Thanks you very very much, it is a very good reference library

I get one question, if I would like to know whether H2O is present on Mars or not, what frequency should I monitor from Space?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Register to reply