How Are Heavy Elements Distributed?

In summary, the distribution of heavy elements in the universe is not uniform. They are primarily formed through nuclear fusion in the cores of stars, and then spread throughout space through supernova explosions. The distribution of heavy elements also varies in different regions of the universe, with some galaxies having a higher concentration than others. Additionally, recent studies have shown that heavy elements are more abundant in the outskirts of galaxies, likely due to the merging of smaller galaxies. This distribution of heavy elements plays a crucial role in understanding the evolution and structure of the universe.
jeff davis
TL;DR Summary
I'm interested in how heavy elements are distributed after creation and aggregation to form new bodies.
Hello,
I was just pondering how certain heavy elements group together in the new bodies that they form.

Ex. that got me thinking:
So gold would have been created one way thru a supernova right? Say this supernova spread some gold dust all over the cosmos.

1. Why whenever a body such as the Earth is formed thru aggregation does the gold run in "veins" like it does usually? These veins are usually also having the same other deposits with them that are good identifiers to someone that gold is present; like quartz. Why are they together?

2. Why does the gold not spread all over everywhere but run in lines and clumps? I am thinking this is due to its weight and such during aggregation; but then i just wonder why it would not be sunk even deeper near the core of the planet since it is so heavy?

3. Since heavy elements like gold are formed from lighter masses going supernova; could there theoretically be a gold based star go supernova to create an even heavier element?

Thanks,

jeff

Space news on Phys.org
jeff davis said:
Summary:: I'm interested in how heavy elements are distributed after creation and aggregation to form new bodies.

1. Why whenever a body such as the Earth is formed thru aggregation does the gold run in "veins" like it does usually? These veins are usually also having the same other deposits with them that are good identifiers to someone that gold is present; like quartz. Why are they together?
Weathering of mountains over eons.

Likes jeff davis
jeff davis said:
Summary:: I'm interested in how heavy elements are distributed after creation and aggregation to form new bodies.

but then i just wonder why it would not be sunk even deeper near the core of the planet since it is so heavy?
Much more gold in Earth's core than the surface I would suspect.

As for 3. , a star made out of predominantly gold would not exist.

"Weathering of mountains over eons." by 256Bits

Ahh. This is a painfully obvious answer. Thank you

"a star made out of predominantly gold would not exist. " by 256Bits

Why is this?

Vanadium 50 said:
Given that there is just more material in the core than the surface, this is true for many things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_differentiation is not a bad starting point.
Percentage wise, the core should have greater abundance of heavy elements than light mixed in with the iron.

jeff davis said:
"a star made out of predominantly gold would not exist. " by 256Bits

Why is this?
Elements up to iron through nuclear fusion release energy.
Fusion of elements after iron require energy input.

256bits said:
Percentage wise

That's the key. :)

Weight is one factor in percentages, but chemistry is also important. Uranium has a higher surface concentration than you would expect from weight because it is a lithophile. Same story with thorium. Gold has a lower concentration because it is a siderophile. Same story with iridium.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's the key. :)

Weight is one factor in percentages, but chemistry is also important. Uranium has a higher surface concentration than you would expect from weight because it is a lithophile. Same story with thorium. Gold has a lower concentration because it is a siderophile. Same story with iridium.
Meaning that the iron moving into the centre of the Earth would have taken gold with it, depleting the surface.
Gold in the core would be among the 5% of elements not of iron or nickel.

The surface has been replenished from meteorites to the tune of 0.001 to 0,006 ppm depending upon the source of data. If the chrondites are considered to be average makeup as the planet, and have a gold content of 0.16 ppm, the core would have the majority of the gold of the planet.

256bits said:
Meaning that the iron moving into the centre of the Earth would have taken gold with it, depleting the surface.

Right, and leaving the uranium behind.

Likes 256bits
jeff davis said:

2. Why does the gold not spread all over everywhere but run in lines and clumps? I am thinking this is due to its weight and such during aggregation; but then i just wonder why it would not be sunk even deeper near the core of the planet since it is so heavy?
Well, consider where potassium is distributed in world (it is much more common, though).
Most of the potassium is spread all over everywhere, in rocks, soils and sea.
Small amounts of potassium are, however, concentrated in potash salt deposits.
Why?
Because when sea water is cut off from sea, in a place with dry climate and without rivers flowing in, after sodium chloride has precipitated, potassium salts remain in bitterns and then precipitate as a separated deposit.

Gold veins in rocks form because gold is modestly soluble in hot pressurized waters. So are other minerals, such as quartz. So as the waters travel upwards and cool, minerals whose solubility drops precipitate out. So does gold. Gold veins are cracks which once fed hot springs.

Likes Dr_Nate and 256bits
snorkack said:
Gold veins in rocks form because gold is modestly soluble in hot pressurized waters. So are other minerals, such as quartz. So as the waters travel upwards and cool, minerals whose solubility drops precipitate out. So does gold. Gold veins are cracks which once fed hot springs.
That makes more sense.
I was thinking of placer deposits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placer_deposit

1. How are heavy elements formed?

Heavy elements are formed through a process called nucleosynthesis, which occurs in the cores of stars. During this process, lighter elements are fused together to create heavier elements, through either fusion or neutron capture.

2. How are heavy elements distributed throughout the universe?

Heavy elements are distributed throughout the universe through various processes, such as supernova explosions and stellar winds. These events release heavy elements into the interstellar medium, where they can then be incorporated into new stars and planets.

3. Are heavy elements evenly distributed throughout the universe?

No, heavy elements are not evenly distributed throughout the universe. They are more abundant in certain regions, such as in the arms of spiral galaxies, where star formation is more active. In contrast, older galaxies and regions with less star formation have lower concentrations of heavy elements.

4. How do scientists study the distribution of heavy elements?

Scientists study the distribution of heavy elements through various methods, such as spectroscopy and observations of different types of astronomical objects. They also use computer simulations to model the evolution and distribution of heavy elements in the universe.

5. What can the distribution of heavy elements tell us about the history of the universe?

The distribution of heavy elements can provide insights into the history of the universe, as it is closely linked to the processes of star formation and evolution. By studying the distribution of heavy elements, scientists can learn about the age and composition of different regions of the universe, and how it has evolved over time.