Register to reply

Contemporary Issues In Industrial Systems Engineering?

Share this thread:
gocats741
Nov27-12, 10:37 PM
P: 3
Hello Physics Forums!

I need a bit of help. I'm aware that this is not a HW thread, but your help is greatly needed. This could be posed as a general discussion question if this is of any concern.

An assignment requires that I have to do research of several contemporary issues in ISE. However, ISE, being the unpopular kid among the engineering disciplines, barely has any information on itself, much less its contemporary issues or current problems or issues in its field this day and age.

If there are any industrial or systems engineers here on this forum or anyone that knows anything, what are some contemporary issues for ISE's?

The only ones I have so far is operations management, healthcare, and business analytics.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
Vadar2012
Nov27-12, 11:45 PM
P: 208
I think you found a good one to discuss. I'm a mechanical engineer and I didn't even know that was a stream of engineering. Well it isn't according to Engineers Australia.
berkeman
Nov28-12, 04:16 PM
Mentor
P: 41,106
Quote Quote by gocats741 View Post
Hello Physics Forums!

I need a bit of help. I'm aware that this is not a HW thread, but your help is greatly needed. This could be posed as a general discussion question if this is of any concern.

An assignment requires that I have to do research of several contemporary issues in ISE. However, ISE, being the unpopular kid among the engineering disciplines, barely has any information on itself, much less its contemporary issues or current problems or issues in its field this day and age.

If there are any industrial or systems engineers here on this forum or anyone that knows anything, what are some contemporary issues for ISE's?

The only ones I have so far is operations management, healthcare, and business analytics.
Since I'm not familiar with IE/ISE either, I did a Google search. There appear to be lots of relevant things discussed in the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ms+Engineering

TheAbsoluTurk
Nov28-12, 04:19 PM
P: 100
Contemporary Issues In Industrial Systems Engineering?

Quote Quote by gocats741 View Post
Hello Physics Forums!

You could talk about how work in factories and manufacturing industry seems to be leaving the developed nations in Western Europe and North America and being set up in East and Southeast Asia.

You could get into the greed which company owners exhibit as such trends start to have an effect. Or how some workers may be abused and not paid enough etc.
AlephZero
Nov28-12, 04:36 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,172
Find some journals (there are plenty of them, according to Google) and see what people are writing papers about.

Register to reply