Should I Upgrade Graduate Certificate Into Second Masters Degree?

In summary: BS ME was more important.In summary, a second master's degree may be useful if you shift directions in your career. It depends on the field of interest and the flexibility of the hiring manager.
YoshiMoshi
I have two Electrical Engineering Degrees, Bachelor of Science and a Master of Engineering.
I'm almost done with a Graduate Certificate in Systems Engineering. Which is 4 classes.

I can upgrade the Graduate Certificate in Systems Engineering to a full blown masters (10 classes). Should I? My company would pay for most of it. It's hard to turn down free stuff.

Food for thought:
  1. I would need to take an additional 6 classes, 4 systems engineering, 1 project management, 1 graduate math class, to upgrade the certificate to a degree
  2. I already took a project management class and graduate math class at another university when I earned my first Masters degree. Because it was more than 6 years ago, I can't transfer the credits over from the first masters to a second masters. My current university does not allow credit by examination for graduate classes. So I can't "test out" of these two classes. So I would have to take these two classes again a second time, despite getting excellent grades from the first time I took them. I'm 110 % against retaking classes I got As in just because it was more than 6 years ago.
  3. Once the classes from my graduate certificate are more than 6 years old, they "expire". Meaning I won't be able to pursue the masters degree without retaking the 4 classes from the certificate because they would be "expired". Despite getting good grades.
I work in industry as an electrical systems engineer. Should I upgrade a systems engineering graduate certificate to a masters degree? I already have a bachelors and masters in electrical. Would getting two masters degree help my career as an engineer? I have to make a decision soon.

Thanks for any help in academic advising!

Physics news on Phys.org
Would completing this degree mean you would probably get a raise in your current position? An expanded job assignment with a corresponding raise?
YoshiMoshi said:
Would getting two masters degree help my career as an engineer?
When you look at job openings at other companies, does it seem like the extra degree will make a difference? At least in my line of work as an EE (R&D on embedded systems), once you have the basic degrees, your work experience and knowledge (tested in interviews) matter the most.

berkeman said:
Would completing this degree mean you would probably get a raise in your current position? An expanded job assignment with a corresponding raise?

When you look at job openings at other companies, does it seem like the extra degree will make a difference? At least in my line of work as an EE (R&D on embedded systems), once you have the basic degrees, your work experience and knowledge (tested in interviews) matter the most.
In my case, no, not in my current position. I wouldn't get a penny raise. When I look at job postings at other companies, I haven't come across a single one that mentions two master degrees.

Why do people get two master degrees?

YoshiMoshi said:
In my case, no, not in my current position. I wouldn't get a penny raise. When I look at job postings at other companies, I haven't come across a single one that mentions two master degrees.

Why do people get two master degrees?
No, you look for posts that read "MS EE required" and posts that separately read "MS Systems Engineering required." And see whether the number of posts in the second category would justify spending the time in getting a MS Systems Engineering.[ETA: Longer Answer]

* Sometimes a second master’s is useful if you shift directions in your career. For example, if you have a MS EE and are content doing hands-on technical work, you’re fine with the single degree. But if you later want to switch away from hands-on technical work, and migrate towards management or business roles, then getting an MBA may help advance your career.

* With respect to degrees in two separate technical fields, that depends strongly on how flexible hiring managers are in your particular fields of interest. You’ll often hear the advice: “Once you’ve worked for X years, it’s your track record that matters, not your degree.” That’s true to a certain extent, but not completely. I’ve cited my own personal example before: I have a PhD Physics. And I have had a lot of experience in designing and building complex mechanical apparatus. At one time, a recruiter (who had worked with me before) approached me for a position as a patent agent for a client primarily involved with mechanical inventions. At the time I already had a well-established track record as a patent agent. The recruiter thought I’d be a good fit, and forwarded my resume to the client. But the client responded, “Candidate must have a BS ME.” So even though I had probably more mechanical engineering experience than a fresh BS ME, even though I had a well-established track record as a patent agent, and even though my recruiter was pushing to have the client at least talk to me, the client held firm on the degree requirement, and wouldn’t even consider me. But, since I had plenty of other prospects, I felt no need whatsoever to get a BS ME. :wink:

* In your case, you have an MS EE and are working as an electrical systems engineer. If you wanted to (or had to) find a systems engineering job at another company, you’ll be fine as long as the job posts don’t specify “MS Systems Engineering required”. If they specify something more flexible along the lines of “MS EE or MS Systems Engineering preferred. Candidates with other degrees having appropriate experience will be considered.”, you’re OK.

* In your specific case, since your company is willing to foot the bill for the second master's, cost is not a consideration. The question then is your time. The second master's certainly won’t do any harm, and might help (and learning new stuff can be an end in itself, even if review of some previous material is involved). The question then is, "What other activity would you spend your time on, if you don’t pursue the second master's?" And it doesn’t have to involve professional advancement, just something satisfying and of value to you.

Last edited:
Likes YoshiMoshi

1. Should I upgrade my graduate certificate into a second master's degree?

The decision to upgrade your graduate certificate into a second master's degree ultimately depends on your career goals and personal circumstances. Consider factors such as the value of the second degree in your field, the cost and time commitment, and how it will impact your career advancement.

2. Will upgrading my graduate certificate into a second master's degree give me a competitive edge in the job market?

In some industries, having a second master's degree can make you stand out among other candidates and potentially lead to higher job opportunities and salaries. However, it is important to research the specific job market and industry you are interested in to determine if a second master's degree is necessary.

3. Can I transfer credits from my graduate certificate towards a second master's degree?

It is possible to transfer credits from your graduate certificate towards a second master's degree, but it ultimately depends on the institution and program you are applying to. Some universities may have specific policies on credit transfers, so it is important to check with the admissions office before making a decision.

4. Will upgrading my graduate certificate into a second master's degree require me to retake courses?

This depends on the specific courses and curriculum of the second master's degree program. Some courses may overlap with your graduate certificate, while others may not. It is best to consult with the program advisor to determine if any courses will need to be retaken.

5. How will upgrading my graduate certificate into a second master's degree affect my financial aid?

If you are receiving financial aid for your graduate certificate, it is important to check with your university's financial aid office to see if it will be affected by pursuing a second master's degree. Some financial aid may not cover the cost of a second degree, so it is important to plan accordingly.