by muzialis
Tags: unstable
Share this thread:
muzialis
Nov29-12, 09:53 AM
P: 152
Hello there,

I am solving numerically the ODE

$$ \dot{y} = min \, (y, A) + B\, sin(t)$$ , A,B being constant.

I obtain a very "wiggled" solution which is very fine to me actually, as it echoes the problem I am studying.
However, as the numerical solution scheme is quite "rudimentary" I am wondering if I am getting an accurate answer.

In this respect I am wondering if somebody could point me towards a suitable theory for ODE to study their well-posedness, continuity with respect to inital data, stability.
I am no expert, but I understand the problems one would encounter if trying to solve the heat equation with negative conductvity!

The ODE, in the regime $$ y(t) < A$$ is of they type $$ \dot{y} = y + f(t)$$ which is prone to diverging exponentially.
I am trying to understand if the solution I find is meanigful or just "computer noise".

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Mute
Nov29-12, 01:26 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
Quote Quote by muzialis View Post
Hello there,

I am solving numerically the ODE

$$ \dot{y} = min \, (y, A) + B\, sin(t)$$ , A,B being constant.

I obtain a very "wiggled" solution which is very fine to me actually, as it echoes the problem I am studying.
However, as the numerical solution scheme is quite "rudimentary" I am wondering if I am getting an accurate answer.

In this respect I am wondering if somebody could point me towards a suitable theory for ODE to study their well-posedness, continuity with respect to inital data, stability.
I am no expert, but I understand the problems one would encounter if trying to solve the heat equation with negative conductvity!

The ODE, in the regime $$ y(t) < A$$ is of they type $$ \dot{y} = y + f(t)$$ which is prone to diverging exponentially.
I am trying to understand if the solution I find is meanigful or just "computer noise".

Thanks
The ODE looks simple enough that you could solve it analytically for an example case or two. For example, suppose ##y(0) = y_0 < A##. Then initially your ODE is just ##\dot{y} = y(t) + B\sin(t)##, as you said, which has solution ##y(t) = (y_0+B/2)e^t - (B/2)(\sin t + \cos t)## (double-check that). This solution is valid until it grows to ##y(t_1) = A##. At this point it must satisfy the ODE ##\dot{y} = A + B\sin t##, which has solution ##y(t) = y(t_1) + A(t-t_1) - B(\cos t - \cos t_1)##. You can find ##t_1## by setting ##y(t_1) = A## in your first solution for ##t<t_1##, and ##y(t_1)## is just A. (You will probably have to solve numerically for ##t_1##). If your parameter values are such that y(t) dips below A again, you would need to find the time ##t_2## at which that happens and solve the ODE with ##\mbox{min}(y,A) = y## again, and so on.

In this way you can construct a piece-wise analytic solution for some simple parameter choices which you can test against your numerical solution.

Register to reply