Seeking advice about solving an ODE

• A
  • Thread starter BillKet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the ODE describing the dependence of y on B can be solved for y_0, y_1, y_2, etc. by an integrating factor. However, only the odd terms contribute.
BillKet
Hello! I am trying to solve the time dependent Schrodinger equation for a 2x2 system and I ended up with this ODE:

$$y''=-iA\sin{(\omega t)}y'-B^2y$$

with the initial conditions ##y(t=0)=0## and ##y'(t=0)=B##. I can look at it numerically but I was wondering if there is a way to get something analytical out of it. In my case I have ##B<<A,\omega## (not sure if that helps), but I am interested in the way ##y## depends on B, so I can't just drop that term either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
First set [itex]\tau = \omega t[/itex] so that [tex]
\frac{d^2 y}{d\tau^2} + i\alpha\sin(\tau) \frac{dy}{d\tau} + \epsilon^2 y = 0[/tex] subject to [itex]y(0) = 0[/itex], [itex]y'(0) = \epsilon[/itex] where [itex]\alpha = A/\omega[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon = B/\omega \ll 1[/itex].

Pose an asymptotic expansion [tex]
y(t) \sim \sum_{k=0}^\infty \epsilon^ky_k(t)[/tex] in the limit [itex]\epsilon \to 0[/itex]. Then the ODE becomes [tex]
(y''_0 + i\alpha\sin(\tau) y'_0) + \epsilon(y''_1 + i\alpha\sin(\tau) y'_1) \\
+ \sum_{k=2}^\infty \epsilon^k \left(y''_k + i\alpha\sin(\tau)y'_k + y_{k-2}\right) = 0[/tex] so that considering coefficients of [itex]\epsilon^k[/itex] we have [tex]
\begin{split}
y''_0 + i\alpha \sin(\tau) y_0' &= 0 \\
y''_1 + i\alpha \sin(\tau) y_1' &= 0 \\
y''_k + i\alpha \sin(\tau) y_k' &= -y_{k-2} \end{split}[/tex] subject to the initial conditions
[tex]\begin{gather*}y_k(0) = y'_k(0) = 0, \quad k \neq 1 \\
y_1(0) = 0, \quad y_1'(0) = 1.\end{gather*}[/tex] The equation for [itex]y_k[/itex] can be solved by an integrating factor once [itex]y_0, \dots, y_{k-1}[/itex] are known. ("Solved" in the sense that the solution can be written in terms of integrals, but the integrals may or may be expressible in terms of elementary functions.) It seems that [itex]y_{2k} \equiv 0[/itex] so only the odd terms contribute.
Note that this expansion is only valid so long as [tex]
\left| \frac{y_{2k+3}}{y_{2k+1}} \right| < \frac 1{\epsilon^2}.[/tex]

Last edited:
If we omit ##-B^2 y## in RHS, we can solve the simplified ODE,
[tex]y=B\int_0^t du \ e^{\frac{iA}{\omega}\cos \omega u} [/tex]
We may be able to expect that in a short time the solution of the original ODE does not so much different from it. I would appreciate it If you could check the difference with your numerical solution.

It i spossible to obtain a power series solution. The system is of the form [tex]
\dot x = M(t)x[/tex] for [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] where [itex]x = (y, \dot y)^T[/itex] and [tex]
M = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ -B^2 & -iA\sin \omega t \end{pmatrix}.[/tex] Then setting [tex]\begin{split}
x(t) &= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nt^n \\
M(t) &= \sum_{n=0}^\infty M_nt^n \end{split}[/tex] we have [tex]
\sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+1)a_{n+1}t^n = \sum_{n=0}^\infty t^n \left[
\sum_{m=0}^n M_{n-m}a_m
\right][/tex] whence [tex]
a_{n+1} = \frac{1}{n+1} \sum_{m=0}^n M_{n-m} a_m, \qquad n \geq 0
[/tex] with [itex]a_0 = (0, B)^T[/itex].

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves one or more independent variables and their derivatives. It is used to model various physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

2. Why is it important to seek advice about solving an ODE?

Solving an ODE can be a complex task and seeking advice from experts can help ensure accuracy and efficiency in the solution process. It can also help identify potential errors and provide alternative approaches to solving the problem.

3. What are some common methods for solving ODEs?

Some common methods for solving ODEs include separation of variables, integrating factors, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods.

4. How can I determine the appropriate method for solving a specific ODE?

The appropriate method for solving an ODE depends on various factors such as the type of ODE (e.g. linear or nonlinear), initial/boundary conditions, and the desired level of accuracy. Consulting with a mathematician or using a software program can help determine the best method for a particular ODE.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to solve ODEs?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and workshops. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer courses on differential equations that cover various methods for solving ODEs.