Identifying and solving a pair of ODE's

• A
  • Thread starter Milsomonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair
In summary, the conversation discusses a pair of coupled non-linear partial differential equations that represent rate equations for a laser system. The equations involve the variables P and n, which are functions of z and t. The speaker is looking for an analytic solution, but it is suggested that a numerical solution would be more feasible. The conversation also touches on the boundary conditions and initial conditions for the equations.
Milsomonk
TL;DR Summary
Classifying ODE's and identifying solving techniques.
Good afternoon folks,
I have a pair of ODE's which I would like to solve. Firstly i'd want to correctly identify the problem and then find the best method for finding a solution.

\begin{align}
\frac{dP_{(z,t)}}{dz} &= An_{(z,t)}P_{(z,t)}-BP_{(z,t)} \\
\frac{dn_{(z,t)}}{dt} &= Cn_{(z,t)}P_{(z,t)}-DP_{(z,t)}-En_{(z,t)}
\end{align}

Where $$A,B,C,D,E$$ are constants.

I think I have correctly identified these as Non-Homogeneous, Non-linear ODE's. I'm not sure if they are coupled as their derivatives are wrt to different variables? as such I am not sure the best method to find a solution, is there a suitable solver in Python or Matlab?

Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated, I'm certainly not looking for a solution, just a hint or a nudge in the right direction. Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since n and P are functions of z and t, these are PDEs, not ODEs. So I think you should write:
\begin{align}
\frac{\partial P_{(z,t)}}{\partial z} &= An_{(z,t)}P_{(z,t)}-BP_{(z,t)} \\
\frac{\partial n_{(z,t)}}{\partial t} &= Cn_{(z,t)}P_{(z,t)}-DP_{(z,t)}-En_{(z,t)}
\end{align}
A couple of questions:
(1) Are you looking for an analytic solution or a numeric solution?
(2) What do you know about the boundary or initial conditions?

Likes berkeman
Thanks for your reply!

It was my quite possibly erroneous understanding that for an equation to be a PDE it had to contain a partial derivative wrt to each variable (z,t), is this not the case?

I am looking for an analytic solution ideally.

In terms of boundary conditions, z will run from 0 to some finite length L. t on the other hand I am not certain about. I don't know if this will help but these are essentially rate equation for a laser system, with P being pump power (from a CW laser) and n being upper state population.

In fact, we do know at z=0 Dp/dt =0.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Milsomonk said:
It was my quite possibly erroneous understanding that for an equation to be a PDE it had to contain a partial derivative wrt to each variable (z,t), is this not the case?
Since P and n are functions of z and t, and you are only differentiating with respect to one variable, these are partial derivatives, are they not?

I am looking for an analytic solution ideally.
In terms of boundary conditions, z will run from 0 to some finite length L. t on the other hand I am not certain about. I don't know if this will help but these are essentially rate equation for a laser system, with P being pump power (from a CW laser) and n being upper state population.

In fact, we do know at z=0 Dp/dt =0.

Thanks again for your help.

You will need more boundary conditions than this. If it's a pumped syatem, do you start pumping at t = 0? So is n(z,0) = 0? What about the pumping power P? Isn't it an input to the equations? Is the pumping power constant, or does it ramp up with time? Can you say P(0,t) = P0 or something like this?

Likes berkeman
Ok, I see my mistake, so I believe I have a pair of coupled non-linear PDE's.

Pumping will be constant and so P(0,t)=P_0, the only thing that will vary P will be absorption via the varying of n. n(z,0)=0 at the onset of pumping. Whilst there may be a ramp up time in pumping, I think I will neglect this and assume the laser is given time to reach a steady state.

I don't know how to solve these analytically, but I think it's fairly straightforward to solve them numerically. At t=0, you know n everywhere, and you know P at z=0. You use the top equation to solve for P(z), so then you know n and P everywhere. Then you use the bottom equation to solve for [itex]\partial n(z,0)/ \partial t[/itex]. Then you take a small time step forward to find n(z, δt). Then you again use the top equation to find P(z, δt), and use the bottom equation to find [itex]\partial n(z,\delta t)/ \partial t[/itex]. You just keep iterating in this way until you are done.

Many thanks for your help! it all makes a lot more sense now.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many physical and natural phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. How do you identify an ODE?

An ODE can be identified by looking for the presence of derivatives in an equation. It will also typically have a dependent variable and one or more independent variables.

3. What is the process for solving a pair of ODE's?

The process for solving a pair of ODE's involves first identifying the type of ODE (linear, nonlinear, etc.), then using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical methods to solve for the dependent variable.

4. What are some common applications of solving a pair of ODE's?

Solving a pair of ODE's is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and understand various systems and processes. It can also be used in economics, biology, and other social sciences.

5. What are some challenges in identifying and solving a pair of ODE's?

Identifying and solving a pair of ODE's can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the need for advanced mathematical techniques. It also requires a thorough understanding of the system being modeled and the assumptions made in the equations.