Register to reply

Spacetime line element to describe an expanding cube

by lailola
Tags: cube, element, expanding, line, spacetime
Share this thread:
lailola
Nov24-12, 10:15 AM
P: 46
Hi, I have to write a spacetime line element for the shape of a cube of cosmological dimensions. This cube is expanding like this:

i)With time, the cube becomes elongated along the z-axis, and the square x-y shape doesn't change.

ii)The line element must be spatially homogeneus. (I dont know what this means).

I think there must appear the scale factor a(t) because of the expansion, but I don't know how to use the conditions of the expansion.

For a cilinder, I would use something like this: [itex]dS^2=-dt^2+a^2(t)(R^2 d\theta^2+dz^2)[/itex] where R is the radius of the cilinder.

Any help?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Life on Mars? Implications of a newly discovered mineral-rich structure
Students see world from station crew's point of view
Exoplanet measured with remarkable precision
clamtrox
Nov29-12, 10:07 AM
P: 939
Spatially homogeneous means that your universe is translation-invariant. In other words, the metric cannot depend on x,y or z.

If the cube gets elongated in the z-direction, then you need at least two scale factors: one for z and one for x and y.
RUTA
Nov29-12, 01:52 PM
P: 659
Quote Quote by lailola View Post
Hi, I have to write a spacetime line element for the shape of a cube of cosmological dimensions. This cube is expanding like this:

i)With time, the cube becomes elongated along the z-axis, and the square x-y shape doesn't change.

ii)The line element must be spatially homogeneus. (I dont know what this means).

I think there must appear the scale factor a(t) because of the expansion, but I don't know how to use the conditions of the expansion.

For a cilinder, I would use something like this: [itex]dS^2=-dt^2+a^2(t)(R^2 d\theta^2+dz^2)[/itex] where R is the radius of the cilinder.

Any help?

Thanks!
[tex]ds^{2} = -c^{2}dt^{2} + dx^{2} + dy^{2} + a^{2}(t)dz^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\dot a > 0[/tex]

lailola
Nov29-12, 02:41 PM
Spacetime line element to describe an expanding cube

Quote Quote by RUTA View Post
[tex]ds^{2} = -c^{2}dt^{2} + dx^{2} + dy^{2} + a^{2}(t)dz^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\dot a > 0[/tex]
Thanks for your answers.

Ruta, I don't get why that line element satisfies the first condition.
clamtrox
Nov30-12, 02:53 AM
P: 939
Thanks for your answers.

This is certainly something you need to figure out before you can answer the question.

How would you know if something satisfies that condition? What does the condition mean, physically?
lailola
Nov30-12, 06:05 AM
Quote Quote by clamtrox View Post
This is certainly something you need to figure out before you can answer the question.

How would you know if something satisfies that condition? What does the condition mean, physically?
It means that the area of the cube in the x-y plane is constant for every z. Doesn't it?
RUTA
Nov30-12, 08:59 PM
P: 659
Thanks for your answers.

Do you understand comoving coordinates? Those in the z direction are being "stretched" while those of in x-y plane remain fixed.

Register to reply