$$
r=\sqrt{x²+y²}
$$
$$
\phi=arctan(\frac{y}{x})
$$
First I took the total derivative of these and arrived at
$$
dr=\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}dy \quad\rightarrow \quad r²dr=xdx+ydy
$$
$$
d\phi=\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}dy \quad\rightarrow \quad r²dr
\phi=-ydx+xdy
$$
After solving the system of equations I got
$$
dx= xdr-yd\phi
$$
$$
dy=ydr+xd\phi
$$
After squaring these separately and adding them I got
$$
dx²+dy²=r²dr²+r²d\phi²
$$
and therefor the line element
$$
ds²=-dt²+r²dr²+r²d\phi²+dz²
$$
However the solution is not supposed to have a r² factor with the dr² term. I have looked at it for a while now but I cant seem to find my error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Catalina- said:
Homework Statement: As part of a recent homework I have to convert the line element
$$
ds²=-dt²+dx²+dy²+dz²
$$
to cylindrical coordinates
Relevant Equations: The cylindrical coordinates were given by
$$
r=\sqrt{x²+y²}
$$
$$
\phi=arctan(\frac{y}{x})
$$

First I took the total derivative of these and arrived at
$$
dr=\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}dy \quad\rightarrow \quad r²dr=xdx+ydy
$$
$$
d\phi=\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}dy \quad\rightarrow \quad r²dr
\phi=-ydx+xdy
$$
You have an extra factor of [itex]r[/itex] on the left hand side of your result for [itex]dr[/itex]. But since you haven't shown us how you calculated the partial derivatives, we can't tell you how it got there.

But none of this is necessary. You need to find [itex]dx^2 + dy^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]dr[/itex] and [itex]d\phi[/itex]. The easiest way is to start from [tex]
\left. \begin{aligned} x = r \cos \phi \\ y = r \sin \phi \end{aligned}\right\} \Rightarrow
\left\{\begin{aligned} dx = \cos \phi\,dr - r\sin \phi\,d\phi \\
dy = \sin \phi \,dr + r\cos \phi\,d\phi \end{aligned}\right.[/tex]

Hi. Welcome to PF. In addition to what @pasmith said, it may be worth noting that
Catalina- said:
$$r²dr=xdx+ydy$$
can easily be seen to be wrong on dimensional grounds. The left side has dimensions ##L^3## (length cubed) but the right hand side has dimensions ##L^2## so there's an error.

Likes vela and WWGD
Thank you very much for your help @pasmith & @Steve4Physics.

You pointed me in the exact right direction, I made a silly mistake in the derivation of dr.

Likes Steve4Physics

What is the line element in cylindrical coordinates?

The line element in cylindrical coordinates is given by ds = dr + rdθ + dz, where dr, dθ, and dz are the infinitesimal changes in the radial, azimuthal, and vertical directions respectively.

How is the line element in cylindrical coordinates related to the Cartesian coordinates?

The line element in cylindrical coordinates is related to the Cartesian coordinates through the following equations: dx = cos(θ)dr - sin(θ)r dθ, dy = sin(θ)dr + cos(θ)r dθ, and dz = dz.

What is the physical interpretation of the line element in cylindrical coordinates?

The line element in cylindrical coordinates represents the infinitesimal distance along a curve in cylindrical coordinates. It takes into account the changes in the radial, azimuthal, and vertical directions.

How is the line element used in calculating line integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

The line element is used to parameterize curves in cylindrical coordinates and calculate line integrals along these curves. By expressing the integrand in terms of the cylindrical coordinates, the line integral can be evaluated using the line element.

Can the line element in cylindrical coordinates be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of the line element can be generalized to higher dimensions using different coordinate systems such as spherical coordinates or general curvilinear coordinates. The line element captures the infinitesimal distance along a curve in these coordinate systems.