Taking Calculus 3 first and then Physics Electromagentism?

by Toranc3
Tags: calculus, electromagentism, physics
Toranc3
Nov29-12, 11:11 AM
P: 188
I have already completed Calculus 1 and 2 but I was wondering if it would be a better idea to take calculus 3 first and then phsyics electromagnetism. I know that electromagnetism deals with a lot of integration but does it deal with double and triple integrals? Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
jtbell
Nov29-12, 11:36 AM
Mentor
P: 11,255
If it's the second semester of a typical "freshman physics" sequence, you probably don't need Calc 3 beforehand. You will use line, surface and volume integrals, but mainly for conceptual purposes. In most examples and problems, the integrals will be trivial from a mathematical point of view. This may vary from one school to another, so if you're really worried, talk to the instructor about it beforehand.

If it's a junior/senior level E&M course using, say, Griffiths as a textbook, on the other hand...
Toranc3
Dec5-12, 07:47 PM
P: 188
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
If it's the second semester of a typical "freshman physics" sequence, you probably don't need Calc 3 beforehand. You will use line, surface and volume integrals, but mainly for conceptual purposes. In most examples and problems, the integrals will be trivial from a mathematical point of view. This may vary from one school to another, so if you're really worried, talk to the instructor about it beforehand.

If it's a junior/senior level E&M course using, say, Griffiths as a textbook, on the other hand...
Thanks for the reply.

ZombieFeynman
Dec6-12, 05:45 AM
PF Gold
P: 241

Taking Calculus 3 first and then Physics Electromagentism?

I think i took them at the same time and it didnt seem to hurt or help. I recall calc 2 being much more helpful.

Register to reply