Register to reply

A question about particle mass

by Kazz
Tags: mass, particle
Share this thread:
Kazz
Nov29-12, 06:40 PM
P: 14
If you were to rearrange the equation E=mc^2 into m=E/c^2 and for E you used reduced planck's constant (joules) would it be a mass of some unknown/known particle?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
jtbell
Nov29-12, 08:58 PM
Mentor
P: 11,782
If by "reduced Planck's constant" you mean ##\hbar##, its units are joule-seconds, not joules.
Kazz
Nov29-12, 10:01 PM
I know, but I'm assuming 1 sec

K^2
Nov29-12, 10:12 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
A question about particle mass

Quote Quote by Kazz View Post
I know, but I'm assuming 1 sec
That's an absolutely arbitrary amount of time. Why not an hour? Or a day? There is nothing special about 1 second.
Kazz
Nov29-12, 10:28 PM
Why are people like this on the forums.
haruspex
Nov29-12, 10:55 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,871
I read your remark as implying that K^2's replies have been unhelpful. In fact, they provide a sound basis for answering your question. Is it likely that 1 second is a such a special duration of time that there is a particle of energy ℏ/(1 second) joules?
Kazz
Nov29-12, 11:25 PM
I just wanted the *base* energy. And so one times that equals well... H-bar
K^2
Nov29-12, 11:27 PM
Sci Advisor
Physics Forums. If you were looking for science fiction forums, that's two doors down.

In physics, the question is just as meaningful as an answer. If you are going to ask a question that makes no sense, people are going to call you on that, and it's not our fault. Now, I am always happy to explain why a particular question is meaningless. Whether I can explain it in a way you would understand, I don't know. And that's as much limitation of my abilities as yours.

If something still isn't clear and you want a more detailed explanation, ask away. Try to be specific. If you simply want to pretend that every question you make up has meaning and must be answered as such, then you are in the wrong place.
And so one times that equals well... H-bar
Yes. One times h-bar is h-bar. One times anything is same anything. But h-bar doesn't have units of energy. Multiplying by 1 doesn't change that. You need to multiply by a quantity that has units of inverse time. For example, [itex]\hbar \omega[/itex] is energy of a photon with angular frequency ω. But that frequency has to come from somewhere. You can't just grab an arbitrary number.
K^2
Nov29-12, 11:36 PM
Sci Advisor
You cannot answer a bad question. A false assumption can be used to derive absolutely anything. The only good answer to a bad question is explanation why it's a bad question. Any other ideas you have on the topic are objectively wrong.
Kazz
Nov29-12, 11:37 PM
Not 1... 1 second.
haruspex
Nov30-12, 12:34 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Not 1... 1 second.
Exactly. 1 x some quantity of energy is still a quantity of energy. 1 second x some quantity of energy is a quantity of action. But 1 second is an arbitrary period. Why not one year?
K^2
Nov30-12, 01:38 AM
Sci Advisor
Not 1... 1 second.
Unlike number 1, quantity 1 second is not a true unit. 1 second is also 1000 miliseconds. It is also 1/60th of a minute. It only has the number 1 in its description because of the choice of duration of a second. The moment I change the duration of a second, that number is no longer 1. So why in the world would multiplying by one second ever give you any significant value?

Worse yet, h-bar times one second doesn't give you joules either. The units of h-bar are joules-seconds, not joules/second. You have to multiply by something with units of inverse time.
Kazz
Nov30-12, 06:51 AM
If you were to divide h-bar by one second wouldn't the seconds cancel out?
mfb
Nov30-12, 10:48 AM
Mentor
P: 11,925
It would, but it does not have any special physical meaning. It is an arbitrary energy which depends on the length of a day on earth (as this was originally used to define "1 second").
haruspex
Nov30-12, 02:23 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
If you were to divide h-bar by one second wouldn't the seconds cancel out?
Planck's constant, like any universal constant (such as velocity of light in vacuo), is independent of the units it's expressed in. In joule-seconds it's about 6.62610−34. In electron-volt-years it would be 1.31 x 10-22. By your logic, you would divide that by one year and obtain 4.13610−15 eV as some special quantity of energy. Or do the same with fortnights, millennia, ... and generate all sorts of magical numbers.
What is legitimate is to take a collection of universal constants and combine them: h-bar/c2 will give you something apparently interesting in units of mass*time.
Kazz
Nov30-12, 03:46 PM
I really wish I could post stuff here without being bashed for mistakes and explained POLITELY why it's wrong and not with sarcasm and rudeness.
K^2
Nov30-12, 09:07 PM
Sci Advisor
There is no sarcasm. You were told several times by several different people that there is nothing special about 1 second as a unit of time. That's all there is. Why do you insist to divide by 1 second and not by 1 day? Can you explain that? If there is nothing special about it, then why should there be anything special about associated energy?
haruspex
Nov30-12, 10:03 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
I really wish I could post stuff here without being bashed for mistakes and explained POLITELY why it's wrong and not with sarcasm and rudeness.
I was not being sarcastic. The most effective way to point out a flaw in an argument is often to demonstrate its most absurd consequences. Reductio, as they say, ad absurdum. Nothing else was working.

Register to reply