Calculation of ideal ignition temperature for a D-T fusion reaction

• I
  • Thread starter freddie_mclair
  • Start date
freddie_mclair
TL;DR Summary
Calculating the ideal ignition temperature for a D-T fusion reaction
I've been trying to calculate the ideal ignition temperature for a 50-50% Deuterium-Tritium (D-T) reaction. In the literature this value is ##4.4##keV and I'm getting ##5.2##keV. Here's how I'm carrying out my calculations.

This value can be calculated by making the alpha particle heating, ##S_{\alpha}=(1/4)n^2 E_{\alpha}\langle \sigma v \rangle##, equal to the Bremsstrahlung losses, ##S_B=C_B n^2 \sqrt{T}##:

$$S_{\alpha}=S_B \Leftrightarrow E_{\alpha}\langle \sigma v \rangle-4C_B \sqrt{T}=0$$

The value I get for ##C_B=(\sqrt{2}/3\pi^{5/2})(e^6/(\varepsilon_0^3 c^3 h m_e^{3/2})## is ##4.22\cdot10^{-29}## ##\sqrt{kg}\, m^4\, s^{-2}##, where ##e## is the electron charge, ##\varepsilon_0## the vacuum permittivity, ##h## Planck's constant and ##m_e## the electron mass. The alpha particle energy is ##E_{\alpha}=3.5##keV. For the reactivity, ##\langle \sigma v \rangle##, which is a function of ##T##, I have been using an equation derived analytically from "Plasma Physics and Fusion Energy book by J.P. Freidberg, 2007":

$$ \langle \sigma v \rangle = \frac{4 \sigma_m}{\sqrt{3}}\sqrt{\frac{2T_m}{m_r}} \left(\frac{T_m}{T}\right)^{2/3}e^{-3(T_m/T)^{1/3}+2} $$

Where ##\sigma_m = 5.03##barns and ##T_m = 296##keV. ##m_r## is the reduced mass of the deuterium and tritium, which is given by ##m_r=(m_D m_T)/(m_D + m_T)##, where ##m_D=2.0141u##, ##m_T=3.01605u## and ##u=1.660\cdot 10^{-28}##kg.

Here are all elements for calculating the ideal ignition temperature, but I feel that I'm messing up somewhere the conversions from keV to Joule or Kelvin.

Can someone help me to troubleshoot what I'm doing wrong? Or, do you indeed get the same value as me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can plug all these things in WolframAlpha and let it check your calculations. It will do the unit conversions for you.

freddie_mclair said:
TL;DR Summary: Calculating the ideal ignition temperature for a D-T fusion reaction

In the literature this value is keV and I'm getting keV.
When one refers to the literature, does one mean "Plasma Physics and Fusion Energy book by J.P. Freidberg, 2007", or some other literature. One would need to be sure to include the same assumptions with respect to the losses and definition of ideal temperature.

1 eV is ~ 11604.5 K, 1 keV ~ 11604500 K
One can refer to NIST values/constants
https://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cu...=ev&To=k&Action=Convert+value+and+show+factor

Likes vanhees71
Ideal ignition corresponds to the condition of steady state power balance in the plasma
assuming negligible heat conduction losses and no external heating, considering only Bremsstrahlung losses. Therefore, no losses transport losses due to heat conduction which are normally quantified by ##S_{th}=3nT##.

1. What is the ideal ignition temperature for a D-T fusion reaction?

The ideal ignition temperature for a D-T fusion reaction is approximately 100 million degrees Celsius.

2. How is the ideal ignition temperature calculated for a D-T fusion reaction?

The ideal ignition temperature is calculated using the Lawson criterion, which takes into account factors such as plasma density, temperature, and confinement time.

3. Why is it important to calculate the ideal ignition temperature for a D-T fusion reaction?

Calculating the ideal ignition temperature is crucial for determining the conditions required for sustained nuclear fusion reactions to occur, which is essential for developing fusion energy as a viable source of power.

4. What are the challenges in achieving the ideal ignition temperature for a D-T fusion reaction?

One of the main challenges is creating and maintaining the extreme conditions necessary for reaching the ideal ignition temperature, such as controlling and confining the plasma at such high temperatures.

5. How close are we to achieving the ideal ignition temperature for a D-T fusion reaction?

While significant progress has been made in fusion research, reaching the ideal ignition temperature is still a major technical hurdle that scientists are actively working to overcome.