Dielectric Sphere in Time Varying Field

by Apteronotus
Tags: dielectric, field, sphere, time, varying
Share this thread:
Apteronotus
Nov30-12, 11:43 AM
P: 203
Hi,

I'm interested in how a dielectric sphere effects a (spatially) uniform time varying field.

I'm sure I'm not the first to inquire about this very topic. Could anyone direct me to a resource?

Thanks,
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
marcusl
Nov30-12, 01:23 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,063
Try searching on Mie scattering and Rayleigh scattering.
Apteronotus
Dec3-12, 09:57 AM
Thanks Marcusl.
Unfortunately I didn't find what I was looking for. any other ideas?

Apteronotus
Dec3-12, 10:04 AM
Dielectric Sphere in Time Varying Field

Hi,

If I have a spatially uniform field whose magnitude is changing in time (say [itex]\vec{E}=E_o\sin(\omega t)\vec{k}[/itex])
and I place a dielectric in this field, will the perturbation of the field have the same frequency?
That is, will the resultant field have a frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]?
marcusl
Dec3-12, 10:59 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,063
Yes, assuming that the dielectric has a linear response. This is usually a good assumption unless the field strength is very high (for example, certain crystals are used to double or triple the frequency of intense laser light).

Register to reply