Arcing during water bridge, which dielectric breaks down first?

In summary, the conversation is about the effects of electric fields on water and a demonstration of the water bridge experiment. The speaker is fascinated by how much electricity arcs out of the water and is curious about whether water reaches its dielectric breakdown before or after air. It is mentioned that water is a tricky dielectric and typically breaks down after air.
HelloCthulhu
I've been interested in the effects of electric fields on water for a while and came across this impressive demonstration of the water bridge experiment:

The thing that fascinates me the most is how much the electricity arcs out of the water. For example at timestamp 8:43 the arc clearly goes across both beakers until more water is added. I know that water is being ionized, but does it reach its dielectric breakdown before or after air? Intuitively water breaking down first is the only thing that makes sense since it's actually touching the electrodes, but I don't know enough about dielectrics to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
HelloCthulhu said:
I've been interested in the effects of electric fields on water for a while and came across this impressive demonstration of the water bridge experiment:

The thing that fascinates me the most is how much the electricity arcs out of the water. For example at timestamp 8:43 the arc clearly goes across both beakers until more water is added. I know that water is being ionized, but does it reach its dielectric breakdown before or after air? Intuitively water breaking down first is the only thing that makes sense since it's actually touching the electrodes, but I don't know enough about dielectrics to be sure.

Water is actually very tricky dielectric. Its dielectric strength is time-dependent. If voltage applied for longer time, the dielectric breakdown become easier. But in general, deionized water break after the air.

Likes person_random_normal and HelloCthulhu

1. What is arcing during water bridge?

Arcing during water bridge is a phenomenon that occurs when a high voltage electric current is passed through a thin stream of water, causing the water to form a bridge between two electrodes. This bridge of water then breaks down into smaller droplets due to the electric field, creating an arc of electricity.

2. How does arcing during water bridge happen?

When a high voltage electric current is passed through a thin stream of water, the electric field causes the water molecules to align and form a bridge between the two electrodes. As the voltage increases, the electric field becomes stronger and causes the water to break down into smaller droplets, creating an arc of electricity.

3. What is a dielectric and how does it relate to arcing during water bridge?

A dielectric is a material that does not conduct electricity well, such as water. In the case of arcing during water bridge, the water acts as the dielectric between the two electrodes. As the electric field becomes stronger, the dielectric properties of the water break down and allow for the formation of the water bridge and subsequent arcing.

4. Why does the dielectric break down during arcing during water bridge?

The dielectric breaks down during arcing during water bridge due to the strong electric field created by the high voltage current. This electric field causes the molecules in the water to align and form a bridge, breaking down the dielectric properties of the water and allowing for the flow of electricity.

5. Is arcing during water bridge dangerous?

Arcing during water bridge can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. The high voltage current can cause burns or shocks if touched, and the resulting arc of electricity can also cause damage to surrounding materials. It is important to use caution and follow safety protocols when conducting experiments involving arcing during water bridge.