What is the atomic makeup of Hastelloy N?


by mesa
Tags: atomic, hastelloy, makeup
mesa
mesa is offline
#1
Nov29-12, 10:13 PM
P: 491
I understand there are a few different types, but with no luck on Wikipedia or Google I still need the atomic makeup of these alloys.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Recycling industrial waste water: Scientists discover a new method of producing hydrogen
Making radiation-proof materials for electronics, power plants
A greener source of polyester?cork trees
Borek
Borek is online now
#2
Nov30-12, 02:09 AM
Admin
Borek's Avatar
P: 22,658
Wiki gives mass percentages of components, these are easy to convert.
mesa
mesa is offline
#3
Nov30-12, 02:42 AM
P: 491
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Wiki gives mass percentages of components, these are easy to convert.
I can't believe I missed that.

Okay adding the values for Hastelloy N I get Cobalt, Chromium, Molybdenum, Tungsten, Iron, Silicone, Manganese, and Carbon at a maximum of 32.38% by weight, does this mean at minimum the remainder is Nickel at 67.62% by weight?

Borek
Borek is online now
#4
Nov30-12, 03:37 AM
Admin
Borek's Avatar
P: 22,658

What is the atomic makeup of Hastelloy N?


Yes, nickel is everything else.
mesa
mesa is offline
#5
Nov30-12, 03:46 PM
P: 491
Okay, well here it is, the * represents maximum values for that element:
Co*1.2Cr49.5Mo61.3W*1Fe*32.9Si*13.1Mn*5.37C*2.45Ni434.9

And for Hastelloy N alloyed with Cu, Ti, and Al:
Co*1.2Cr49.5Mo61.3W*1Fe*32.9Si*13.1Mn*5.37C*2.45Ni429.5(Al+Ti)*4.9Cu*2.02
DrDu
DrDu is online now
#6
Nov30-12, 04:46 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,363
www.haynesintl.com/pdf/h2052.pdf
There the ammount of Ni in % is explicitly specified as maximally 71%.
mesa
mesa is offline
#7
Nov30-12, 08:06 PM
P: 491
Very imformative; thank you for the link.


Register to reply

Related Discussions
Finding the atomic makeup of a substance Chemistry 2
Laser Welding Hastelloy and the problems associated with it Materials & Chemical Engineering 4
does an electron have a makeup Quantum Physics 72
Which is pion(0) makeup? Advanced Physics Homework 2
Men and Makeup General Discussion 19