What is the atomic makeup of Hastelloy N?

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atomic
In summary, the conversation discusses the atomic makeup of two types of Hastelloy alloys. The first type, Hastelloy N, has a maximum composition of 32.38% Cobalt, Chromium, Molybdenum, Tungsten, Iron, Silicone, Manganese, and Carbon, leaving the remainder as Nickel. The second type, Hastelloy N alloyed with Cu, Ti, and Al, has a maximum composition of 32.9% Cobalt, 49.5% Chromium, 61.3% Molybdenum, 1.2% Tungsten, 13.1% Silicone, 5.37% Manganese, 2.45% Carbon, and
mesa
Gold Member
I understand there are a few different types, but with no luck on Wikipedia or Google I still need the atomic makeup of these alloys.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wiki gives mass percentages of components, these are easy to convert.

Borek said:
Wiki gives mass percentages of components, these are easy to convert.

I can't believe I missed that.

Okay adding the values for Hastelloy N I get Cobalt, Chromium, Molybdenum, Tungsten, Iron, Silicone, Manganese, and Carbon at a maximum of 32.38% by weight, does this mean at minimum the remainder is Nickel at 67.62% by weight?

Yes, nickel is everything else.

Okay, well here it is, the * represents maximum values for that element:
Co*1.2Cr49.5Mo61.3W*1Fe*32.9Si*13.1Mn*5.37C*2.45Ni434.9

And for Hastelloy N alloyed with Cu, Ti, and Al:
Co*1.2Cr49.5Mo61.3W*1Fe*32.9Si*13.1Mn*5.37C*2.45Ni429.5(Al+Ti)*4.9Cu*2.02

www.haynesintl.com/pdf/h2052.pdf
There the amount of Ni in % is explicitly specified as maximally 71%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very imformative; thank you for the link.

1. What elements make up Hastelloy N?

Hastelloy N is primarily composed of nickel, chromium, molybdenum, and iron. It also contains smaller amounts of tungsten, cobalt, and carbon.

2. What is the atomic structure of Hastelloy N?

Hastelloy N has a face-centered cubic (FCC) crystal structure, with a lattice parameter of 3.584 Å.

3. How does the atomic makeup of Hastelloy N contribute to its properties?

The combination of nickel, chromium, and molybdenum in Hastelloy N provides exceptional resistance to corrosion, especially in harsh environments with high temperatures and acidic conditions. The presence of tungsten and cobalt also adds to its strength and durability.

4. Are there any other elements in Hastelloy N besides those mentioned?

In addition to the main elements mentioned, Hastelloy N may also contain trace amounts of other elements, such as sulfur, silicon, phosphorus, and manganese.

5. How is the atomic makeup of Hastelloy N determined?

The atomic makeup of Hastelloy N is determined through various analytical techniques, including X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy, atomic absorption spectroscopy, and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. These methods allow for precise measurement of the elemental composition of the alloy.