How many atoms are in a given mass of metal?

In summary, the person wants to know how many atoms are in each metal sample. They may or may not use Avogadro's number to figure this out.
Jetstream
TL;DR Summary
I have some metal samples pure(ish) and want to know the number of atoms in each sample.
Hi all,

This may be simple chemistry, but I haven’t engaged this topic for a very long time.

I have an experiment where I need to measure the masses of some elemental (99%pure) metal cubes and I also want to know how many atoms of each element there are within them.

From memory, Avogadro’s number would be used, but from my understanding, does it not assume the same form of atomic packing in each metal sample?

How can I figure out the number of atoms in each metal sample cube?

Regards,
Adam

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Jetstream said:
Summary:: I have some metal samples pure(ish) and want to know the number of atoms in each sample.

Hi all,

This may be simple chemistry, but I haven’t engaged this topic for a very long time.

I have an experiment where I need to measure the masses of some elemental (99%pure) metal cubes and I also want to know how many atoms of each element there are within them.

From memory, Avogadro’s number would be used, but from my understanding, does it not assume the same form of atomic packing in each metal sample?

Regards,
Adam
Welcome to PF. :smile:

It's been a long time for me too working this kind of problem, but I think I would use the concept of atomic mass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_mass

Mass of cube / mass of atom would give you an answer.

Likes berkeman
Jetstream, any packing would only affect volume. Your question does not go into density nor volume. You will use atomic mass values and Avogadro's Number.

Likes russ_watters, sophiecentaur, ChemAir and 5 others
Jetstream said:
What information do you have to start with? You say you will measure the masses of each cube, but what else do you know? Do you know what kind of metal each cube is made of, or are you supposed to figure that out too?

PeterDonis said:
What information do you have to start with?
Yes. That's essential to know. If you know the element then you can easily find out the atomic mass (tables of chemical elements). The number of atoms is like the sweets in a jar.
symbolipoint said:
You will use atomic mass values and Avogadro's Number.
I think that wouldn't be necessary (see above). You can use Avogadro for the mass of a given volume of gas (converted for STP) because a Mole of gas at STP takes up 22.4l of volume. (remembered from school but I think it's right.) But solids pack differently.

Question needs to be specified more completely I think.

We teach that Avogadro # is the number of particles in 1 mole. How it is packaged is irrelevant.

Likes sysprog and sophiecentaur

1. How do you calculate the number of atoms in a given mass of metal?

To calculate the number of atoms in a given mass of metal, you will need to know the atomic mass of the metal and the mass of the sample. Then, use the Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) and the molar mass of the metal to calculate the number of moles. Finally, multiply the number of moles by Avogadro's number to get the number of atoms.

2. Why is it important to know the number of atoms in a given mass of metal?

Knowing the number of atoms in a given mass of metal is important for various reasons, such as understanding the properties and behavior of the metal, determining its purity, and predicting its reactivity with other substances.

3. Do all metals have the same number of atoms per given mass?

No, different metals have different atomic masses and therefore, the number of atoms in a given mass will vary. For example, a given mass of iron will have a different number of atoms compared to the same mass of gold.

4. Can the number of atoms in a given mass of metal change?

The number of atoms in a given mass of metal cannot change unless there is a nuclear reaction or the metal undergoes a chemical reaction. In these cases, the number of atoms may increase or decrease depending on the type of reaction.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the number of atoms in a given mass of metal?

The calculation of the number of atoms in a given mass of metal is based on the assumptions of Avogadro's number and the molar mass of the metal. Therefore, it is generally considered to be a very accurate calculation, but it may have a small margin of error due to experimental limitations.