Register to reply

Can Astronaut survive within solar wind?

by junk0
Tags: astronaut, solar, survive, wind
Share this thread:
junk0
Nov29-12, 10:32 PM
P: 40
Solar wind contains ion charges and electromagnetic field, will Solar wind affect action potential within Astronaut's nerve system?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Largest genetic survey to date shows major success of giant panda breeding programs
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Simon Bridge
Nov30-12, 03:35 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,369
Yes. They have.

Quote Quote by junk0 View Post
Solar wind contains ion charges and electromagnetic field, will Solar wind affect action potential within Astronaut's nerve system?
Almost certainly.

http://rpd.oxfordjournals.org/content/115/1-4/44.short
syhprum
Nov30-12, 06:25 PM
P: 31
I presume all nations that intend to send astronauts on long space trips have already made tests on "volunteers"

junk0
Dec1-12, 09:54 AM

If Solar wind can affects action potential within Astronaut's nerve system, will their muscles' reaction become slower within Solar wind? since high energetic particles will interrupt any chemical reactions for action potential within Astronaut's nerve system, so Astronaut will feel the side effect of solar wind instantly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
junk0
Dec2-12, 09:15 AM
The physical condition of early Astronauts deteriorated severely whilst in Outer Space, away from the Schumann Resonance. The problem was solved by introducing the "Schumann Simulator" into all space shuttles, a magnetic pulse generator mimicking the Earth's frequency. This demonstrates the simple fact that we cannot be healthy if disconnected from the "natural biological frequency"

Edit: another crackpot link deleted.

Does anyone have any suggestions why Astronauts use Schumann Resonance in space?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions
syhprum
Dec2-12, 09:30 AM
P: 31
I find it quite incredible that a 7.3 Hz magnetic field of 1 picotesla can have any effect on the human body that is unharmed by the 2-3 Telsa field of a MRI machine
junk0
Dec2-12, 09:42 AM
Quote Quote by syhprum View Post
I find it quite incredible that a 7.3 Hz magnetic field of 1 picotesla can have any effect on the human body that is unharmed by the 2-3 Telsa field of a MRI machine
Could you please tell me where you find it? I would like to know how it effects on human body with a 7.3 Hz magnetic field of 1 picotesla. What make it good for human body in term of Biology?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions
Simon Bridge
Dec3-12, 06:40 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,369
Does anyone have any suggestions why Astronauts use Schumann Resonance in space?
I am quite sure that astronaughts use all kinds of things that have little or no scientific validity - like carrying a lucky charm, or following the tenets of some religion. "NASA does it therefore it must be valid" is a logical fallacy. The website referenced is so full of pseudoscience ("the Earth's cavity"???) it is impossible to tell where the facts end and the make-believe starts.

So, I think we'd need to see:
a. a better source (i.e. NASA) confirming the use of Schumann resonators on space shuttles
b. some peer-reviewed literature documenting the claimed effects (i.e. where did Schumann publish?*)
... before taking the ideas on that site even remotely seriously.
Could you please tell me where you find it? I would like to know how it effects on human body with a 7.3 Hz magnetic field of 1 picotesla. What make it good for human body in term of Biology?
There is no reason to believe it [the frequency etc] has any biological effect. Remember - it is up to the people making the strange claims to support them.

It is a real phenomena which, in a misunderstood form, has been used by people making mystical claims as "scientific" support for whatever they are peddling.
When confronted by their misunderstanding, they respond with "science doesn't know everything". Basically, a lightning strike someplace on the Earth's surface sends our EM waves. Some of these waves bounce around in the atmosphere more than others. Schumann worked out which ones hung around the longest: wikipedia has a nice animation courtesy of NASA.

I think it is against the rules of the forum to promote pseudoscience, and discussing various manifestations, even with the aim of debunking them, must be handled very carefully. I'd suggest a forum like: JREF may be more appropriate?

Meantime - there are no end of popular-level resources on this thing:
eg.
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/archive/...p/t-62856.html
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread597740/pg1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonance

* Schumann W. O. (1952). "Über die Dämpfung der elektromagnetischen Eigenschwingnugen des Systems Erde – Luft – Ionosphäre". Zeitschrift und Naturfirschung
Nothing in there about Earth breathing or health.
Evo
Dec3-12, 07:09 PM
Mentor
P: 26,415
Crackpot thread closed. Thanks to all that tried to help.

Register to reply