Moon Landing Q&A: Solar Winds & Astronauts

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential dangers of solar winds for astronauts during the moon landing. The experts point out that astronauts are protected by Earth's magnetic field to some extent, but they do get pelted with particles. The conversation also touches on the belief in the moon landing and the importance of phrasing questions properly in scientific inquiry. The PF rules are mentioned and the conversation ends with a suggestion to do further research on the topic.
Gaz
I have a question about the moon landing . Wouldn't the solar winds kill any astronaut in space?

Space news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, but I think that even in space they are protected by Earth's magnetic field to some extent. But they do get pelted with various particles (mostly electrons, protons, and alpha particles). For example, I remember reading that an astronaut will see periodic flashes of light when a particle strikes her optic nerve!

I imagine that the walls of the spaceship would also offer some protection.

Gaz said:
I have a question about the moon landing . Wouldn't the solar winds kill any astronaut in space?
Uh ... do you not believe that we have put astronauts in space (and landed some on the moon) and brought them home safely? If you DO believe that has happened, then your question should not be "would this not happen?" but rather "clearly this doesn't happen, but how can it not?".

This may sound like silly semantics to you but my point is that in any kind of scientific inquiry, it is important to phrase questions properly lest you build in a bias towards a particular answer.

My question is simply a what about question. I neither believe nor dis-believe the moon landings I would like to believe there true but I ask because I am having a hard time believing the Van Allen belts would be much of a problem to a astronaut being that the particles in the belt would already be caught and slowed by the Earth's magnetic field where as the solar wind would be like the Van Allen belt on steroids or a solar system size particle accelerator. It seams to me the solar winds should be the main problem for astronauts so any info or thoughts about this is awsome =)

Geofleur I heard they get that to just in low Earth orbit nether mind father out. I don't think our magnetic field covers us for a trip to the moon though.

Gaz said:
I neither believe nor dis-believe the moon landings

You're off to a bad start here already. I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to have watched the Moon landings on television. Yes, they happened.

As for your OP question, as the PF rules will tell you, you should try Googling before asking a question to see if the answer is easily available already. Please do so. (You might also want to check your assumptions about the Van Allen belts not being an issue and about the extent of the Earth's magnetic field.) If, after you've done that, you have a more specific question, please open a new thread on that specific question. Thread closed.

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy, berkeman and axmls

What is the significance of solar winds on the moon landing?

Solar winds were a major factor in the success of the moon landing. These high-speed streams of charged particles from the sun can cause disruptions in spacecrafts and communication systems. NASA had to carefully monitor solar wind activity and adjust the timing of the mission to ensure the safety of the astronauts.

How did the astronauts protect themselves from solar winds during the moon landing?

The astronauts were protected from solar winds by their spacesuits. These suits were made of multiple layers of special materials that could block out the harmful effects of solar radiation. The suits also had a cooling system to regulate the temperature inside and prevent overheating.

What role did solar winds play in the Apollo 11 mission?

Solar winds played a crucial role in the Apollo 11 mission. The mission had to be carefully timed to avoid periods of high solar activity, which could have posed a danger to the astronauts. The lunar module also had to be designed to withstand solar winds and protect the astronauts from its effects.

Did the astronauts experience any effects from solar winds during the moon landing?

While the astronauts did not experience any direct effects from solar winds during the moon landing, they did report seeing unique phenomena such as the "lunar glow" caused by solar particles interacting with the lunar surface. They also had to deal with other space weather events like solar flares, which could have disrupted their communication systems.

How has our understanding of solar winds improved since the moon landing?

Since the moon landing, our understanding of solar winds has greatly improved. We now have advanced technology and instruments that allow us to better measure and predict solar activity. This has helped us to better prepare for space missions and protect astronauts from the effects of solar winds.