Combined system state as product of states

by Sekonda
Tags: combined, product, state, states
Share this thread:
Sekonda
Dec3-12, 12:14 PM
P: 209
Hey,

I have to express the combined system state of j=5/2, m=5/2 in terms of the products of states j1,m1 and j2,m2.

[tex]\mid j,m> =\mid\frac{5}{2},\frac{5}{2}>\: ,\: |j_1,m_1> \& |j_2,m_2>[/tex]

I know that one way of achieving this is for j1=3/2 and j2=1 but I'm not sure how to express this - I think this is involving Clebsch-Gordon coefficients.

Thanks guys,
SK
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
DocZaius
Dec3-12, 12:28 PM
P: 296
Just from inspecting your J and M, it seems clear a (spin 3/2 with max m=3/2) and a (spin 1/2 with max m=1/2) would combine to that state. As a rule, if your M happens to be the sum of two particular spins' max m, then you have a straightforward product of the states at their max m.
Sekonda
Dec3-12, 12:34 PM
I suppose I'm confused in how I could write that the 5/2, 5/2 state was the same as 3/2, 3/2 and a 1,1.

Would this simply be: [tex]|\frac{5}{2},\frac{5}{2}>=|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}>|1,1>[/tex]

I'm not really sure what is meant by the product of two states - what notation would be used.

Sekonda
Dec3-12, 12:35 PM
Combined system state as product of states

or

[tex]|\frac{5}{2},\frac{5}{2}>=|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2},1,1>[/tex]
DocZaius
Dec3-12, 01:09 PM
I've always used the first one, myself. Not sure about the second.
Sekonda
Dec3-12, 01:11 PM
Right cool, I thought so to but I'm just a bit confused with my notes - I have two very similar way of writing it. Cheers.
DocZaius
Dec3-12, 01:15 PM
Also, I should add another condition to my rule above.

As a rule, if your M happens to be the sum of two particular spins' max m and J=M, then you have a straightforward product of the states at their max m. This holds true if you replace instances of "max" with min" in the previous sentence.
Sekonda
Dec3-12, 04:18 PM
Indeed, this makes sense. Thanks for the help DocZaius!

Register to reply