Why is this C-G coefficient always zero?

In summary, Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used in the addition of angular momenta, so one can use a the analogy of adding classical vectors. If one wants to add a vector of length ##\sqrt{2}## to a vector of length ##\sqrt{l(l+1)}## and still get ##\ket{l,0}##, one must add a vector of length ##\sqrt{2}## to a vector of length ##\sqrt{l(l+1)}## and recover a vector of length ##\sqrt{l(l+1)}##, while all 3 vectors lie in the xy plane.
euphoricrhino
From calculating a few CG-coefficient tables, it occurred to me that when we add two angular mometa ##j_1=l## and ##j_2=1## (with ##l## whole integer), the resulting ##|j=l,m=0\rangle## state always has zero C-G coefficient with ##|j_1=l,j_2=1;m_1=0,m_2=0\rangle## component, i.e., ##\langle j_1=l,j_2=1;m_1=0,m_2=0,|j=l,m=0\rangle=0##.
But the usual C-G coefficient selection rule only dictates ##|j=l,m=0\rangle## may have components in 3 states ##|j_1=l,j_2=1;m_1=-1,m_2=1\rangle, |j_1=l,j_2=1;m_1=0,m_2=0\rangle, |j_1=l,j_2=1;m_1=1,m_2=-1\rangle##. Why was the middle state ##|j_1=l,j_2=1;m_1=0,m_2=0\rangle## forbidden? Is there deeper insights?
Thanks

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about classical vectors. You want to add ##\ket{1,0}## to ##\ket{l,0}## and still get ##\ket{l,0}##, i.e., you want to add a vector of length ##\sqrt{2}## to a vector of length ##\sqrt{l(l+1)}## and recover a vector of length ##\sqrt{l(l+1)}##, while all 3 vectors lie in the xy plane. Can't work.

Likes PeroK, Vanadium 50 and topsquark
Thanks for the reply, but I'm sorry I don't really understand this analogy.

Where I got lost is the part when you say "all 3 vectors lie in the xy plane", which 3 vectors are you referring to (it seems you are referring to the ##|m_1=1,m_2=-1\rangle,|m_1=0,m_2=0\rangle,|m_1=-1,m_2=1\rangle## as the 3 vectors in xy plane?)

I'm also not understanding what "add a vector of length ##\sqrt{2}##" mean, since we are talking about projection of vector of length ##\sqrt{l(l+1)}## onto 3 vectors of length ##\sqrt{2}## while one of the projection has zero projected components.

euphoricrhino said:
I'm also not understanding what "add a vector of length ##\sqrt{2}##" mean, since we are talking about projection of vector of length ##\sqrt{l(l+1)}## onto 3 vectors of length ##\sqrt{2}## while one of the projection has zero projected components.
Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used in the addition of angular momenta, so one can use a the analogy of adding classical vectors. In this case, you have a state ##\ket{j,m}## that is the result of the addition of states ##\ket{j_1,m_1}## and ##\ket{j_2,m_2}##, in particular
$$
\ket{j=l,m=0} = \sum_{m_1,m_2} \ket{l,m_1,1,m_2} \braket{l,m_1;1,m_2 | l, 0}
$$
and ask why ##\braket{l,0;1,0 | l, 0} = 0##. The reason is that since ##m=m_1=m_2 = 0##, the two vectors being added, namely ##\ket{l,0}## and ##\ket{1,0}##, are in the xy-plane, but so is the resulting vector you are considering, and therefore the CG coefficient can only be ##\neq 0## is making a triangle out of the three vectors is possible, which is not the case if ##j=l## while ##j_1=l## and ##j_2=1##.

This is similar to the fact that ##\braket{j_1,m_1;j_2,m_2 | j, m} = 0## if ##j < |j_1-j_2|## or ##j > j_1+j_2## (triangle rule) or if ##m \neq m_1 + m_2##, as these conditions also lead to an arrangement of three vectors that is not a triangle.

Likes PeroK, topsquark and euphoricrhino
Thanks a lot for the elaboration. I think I'm forming the mental picture now. You are suggesting to visualize any state ##|j,m\rangle## as a 3-D vector of length ##\sqrt{j(j+1)}## whose ##z##-component is ##m##, and claim CG coefficient to be non-zero only if the 3 vectors involved can form a triangle.
Am I understanding your analogy correctly? I can see how this can help prove my original observation.
Thanks a lot again!

Likes DrClaude
Thinking about it a little more, I think I'm still not understanding the analogy (despite my earlier claim that I did). Take the example where we add ##|l=1,0\rangle## with ##|l=1,0\rangle##, and we are asking why the resulting angular momentum cannot be ##|l=1,0\rangle##. By the analogy, these are three vectors on xy plane, each of which has length ##\sqrt{2}##, and the claim was they cannot form a triangle. But they can, as equilateral triangle, right?

euphoricrhino said:
Thinking about it a little more, I think I'm still not understanding the analogy (despite my earlier claim that I did). Take the example where we add ##|l=1,0\rangle## with ##|l=1,0\rangle##, and we are asking why the resulting angular momentum cannot be ##|l=1,0\rangle##. By the analogy, these are three vectors on xy plane, each of which has length ##\sqrt{2}##, and the claim was they cannot form a triangle. But they can, as equilateral triangle, right?
You're making me doubt my answer! I'll have to think a bit more about it.

Now I think I finally come up with a proof for this claim using Wigner-Wickart theorem. The proof is simple but "mathematical", so some physical insights are still appreciated.

Here's the proof -
Consider the vector operator ##\mathbf{J}##, and transform it into "spherical tensor of rank-1" form
$$
T^{(1)}_{\pm1} = \mp(J_x\pm iJ_y), \qquad T^{(1)}_0=J_z
$$
By Wigner-Eckart theorem,
$$
\left\langle j=l,m=0|T^{(1)}_q|j_1=l,m_1=0\right\rangle = \langle j_1=l,j_2=1;m_1=0,m_2=q|j=l,m=0\rangle\frac{\langle j=l||T^{(1)}||j_1=l\rangle}{\sqrt{2l+1}}
$$
But for ##q=0##, the LHS vanishes because ##T^{(1)}_0=J_z##, which means the CG coefficient on the RHS must vanish because the second factor on RHS, being the same for all ##m## and ##q## values, must be non-zero.

1. What is a C-G coefficient?

A C-G coefficient, also known as a Clebsch-Gordan coefficient, is a mathematical term used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between two quantum states.

2. Why is this C-G coefficient always zero?

The value of a C-G coefficient is dependent on the quantum numbers of the two states being compared. If these quantum numbers do not match certain criteria, the coefficient will be equal to zero.

3. Can a C-G coefficient ever be non-zero?

Yes, a C-G coefficient can be non-zero if the quantum numbers of the two states satisfy certain conditions. These conditions are based on the properties of angular momentum and spin.

4. How is the value of a C-G coefficient calculated?

The calculation of a C-G coefficient involves the use of a mathematical formula that takes into account the quantum numbers of the two states being compared. This formula is based on the principles of group theory.

5. What is the significance of a non-zero C-G coefficient?

A non-zero C-G coefficient indicates that the two quantum states being compared have a relationship and can be transformed into each other through a physical process. This has important implications in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.