2d bin packing + selective grouping

In summary, Francisco is an architecture student who is interested in algorithmic design and wants to develop a software that utilizes math to optimize floor plans. He wants to input areas represented by rectangles and have the software organize them and present various solutions based on desirable proximities between the rectangles. He has tried using a genetic algorithm in a 3D parametric modeler, but is looking for suggestions and ideas on how to improve the process.
Pixbae
Hi everyone!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Francisco and I'm an architecture student. I've recently become interested in algorithmic design, which is basically utilizing math to help design (an example would be structure or space optimization). To contextualize, I am a noob with numbers, so as far as algorithmic architecture goes, I´ve just played with some tools that help with it (Rhino Grasshopper for example, which is a 3d parametric modeler).

I want to develop a software in which I input areas (represented by rectangles) and it organizes them and presents me various possible solutions to a floor plan. You may think this belongs to the computer science subforum, but I first want to grasp the mathemagical / logical concept of it before tackling it in a programming language.

The problem consists in trying to group a bunch of rectangles in the least possible space (not within a container, no boundaries). at the same time, I want some of these rectangles to be closer to others, so there is a hierarchy of proximity between rectangles. For example, if I wanted various possibilites of a house floor plan, I'd input spaces such as kitchen, dinning room, living room, bedrooms, etc., and it would not only group them in little space, but also ubicate them according to desirable proximities (kitchen - dinning room for example) and viceversa.

So basically, it would be some sort of 2d bin packing, but is there a way to control how the objects "pack" so I have the desirable proximities between them. In the software "grasshopper", I tried using a genetic algorithm to search solutions reducing space between the objects but the software wouldn't let me input more than one fitness (is this possible if I program my own genetic algorithm? I mean, multiple fitnesses).

Thanks in advance, open to suggestions,ideas or anything.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
in general in a genetic algorithm, you score your possible solutions so at that time you could score using multiple criteria like you mention. For example, you could score better if the bathroom is closer to the bedroom, and the kitchen is closer to the game room.

In any event, it seems like overkill to be doing this. I mean a home has so few rooms and bin packing is usually reserved for dozens or hundreds of boxes.

1. How does 2d bin packing work?

2d bin packing is a mathematical problem-solving technique used to optimize the packing of objects into containers or bins of varying sizes. The goal is to minimize the number of bins used while ensuring that all objects are packed efficiently without overlapping.

2. What is selective grouping in 2d bin packing?

Selective grouping is a strategy used in 2d bin packing where objects are grouped based on their size and shape before being packed into bins. This allows for more efficient use of space and can lead to a better overall packing solution.

3. How is 2d bin packing + selective grouping used in real-life applications?

2d bin packing + selective grouping is used in a variety of industries, such as logistics, manufacturing, and retail. It can help optimize the placement of items in shipping containers, warehouse storage, and store shelves to reduce waste and improve efficiency.

4. What are the limitations of 2d bin packing + selective grouping?

2d bin packing + selective grouping is a complex problem that is NP-hard, meaning it is difficult to find an optimal solution in a reasonable amount of time. Additionally, it may not always produce the most efficient packing solution, especially when dealing with irregularly shaped objects.

5. How can I improve the performance of 2d bin packing + selective grouping?

There are several ways to improve the performance of 2d bin packing + selective grouping, such as using heuristics or approximation algorithms, breaking the problem into smaller subproblems, and implementing intelligent sorting and grouping strategies. It is also important to have accurate and updated data on the objects being packed to improve the algorithm's effectiveness.