Are my thoughts about groups correct?

In summary, Lie groups are usually defined using a representation in order to obtain the Lie Algebra of the group. Once the Lie Algebra is obtained, it can be derived in any representation. A group always has the same number of generators in any representation. These properties are analogous to those of topological spaces, where a space is usually defined in a certain way but becomes independent of its embedding. When using the ##2 \otimes 2## representation of ##SU(2)##, the transformation matrices should be operated on a matrix from both the left and the right, which contradicts the assumption that they only operate on vectors from the left. It is not possible to determine if a representation is irreducible by testing commutativity of their
Tio Barnabe
I would kindly appreciate any corrections to my conclusions, because I need to get this subject straight for learning QFT in a satisfactory way.

From what I have been reading about Lie groups so far, I have concluded the following:

1 - A group is independent of a representation, but we usually define a group using some representation. We do that in order to get the Lie Algebra of the group.

2 - Once we get the Lie Algebra of the group, we can derive what it looks like in any representation.

3 - A given group has the same number of generators in any representation, because of 1 above.

[I realized that these properties of groups are analogous to those of topological spaces, in the sense that we usually define a topological space, for instance, the 2-sphere in ##\mathbb{R}^3##, because it seems the only reasonable way to define it. After defining, the 2-sphere becomes totally independent of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, i.e., we don't need to see it as embedded in ##\mathbb{R}^3##. Other examples are the cylinder, the torus... The analog of various representations of a group would be various possible metrics for a given topological space.]

Now, comes a part that I still don't understand.

When we are using the ##2 \otimes 2## representation of ##SU(2)##, i.e., the direct sum of two 2-dimensional representations of ##SU(2)##, it seems that the correct way to operate with the transformation matrices, is to operate with them on a matrix ##M## from the left & from the right of ##M##. This is in contradiction with the assumption that the transformation matrices would operate on vectors, only from the left.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another question: can we say whether a representation is irreducible by testing commutativity of their matrices? I remember from QM that a set of matrices can be diagonalized by the same matrix iff the matrices commute with each other.

1. How do you define a group?

A group is a collection of people who share a common characteristic, interest, or purpose and interact with each other in a structured manner.

2. What factors can influence my thoughts about groups?

Your thoughts about groups can be influenced by your personal experiences, cultural background, education, media, and social interactions.

3. Can my thoughts about groups be biased?

Yes, it is possible for your thoughts about groups to be biased, as biases are often formed unconsciously and can be influenced by various factors such as stereotypes, prejudices, and past experiences.

4. How can I ensure that my thoughts about groups are accurate?

To ensure that your thoughts about groups are accurate, it is important to critically examine your beliefs and thoughts, seek out diverse perspectives, and gather information from reliable and credible sources.

5. How can understanding group dynamics help me in my research?

Understanding group dynamics can help you in your research by providing insights into how individuals behave within groups, how groups function and make decisions, and how to effectively communicate and collaborate with group members.