Register to reply

Is physics bachelors degree required to carry out masters in quantum physics?

by Vinay Hebbar
Tags: bachelors, carry, degree, masters, physics, quantum, required
Share this thread:
Vinay Hebbar
Dec4-12, 12:02 PM
P: 25
Hi i'm currently pursuing electronics and communication degree in India. I'm confused whether to get another bachelors degree in physics or i can directly do my masters. Most of my friends suggested to directly carry masters in any US colleges so that professors would be knowing what i lack and would be of help. Please guide me through this as i'm aspiring to get my masters in quantum physics.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
uby
Dec4-12, 12:45 PM
P: 176
Have you had significant exposure to quantum mechanics at an undergraduate level? Do you have a strong background in the mathematics necessary to study this subject at a graduate level?
eri
Dec4-12, 08:16 PM
P: 981
There's no such thing as a masters in quantum physics. It's just a masters in physics, and it requires a bachelors in physics. Many US schools do not consider a bachelors from India equivalent to a bachelors here; some will make you earn a masters in physics in India before applying to their masters programs. Many also don't grant a terminal masters; it's a PhD or nothing.

Vinay Hebbar
Dec5-12, 12:35 AM
Is physics bachelors degree required to carry out masters in quantum physics?

Quote Quote by uby View Post
Have you had significant exposure to quantum mechanics at an undergraduate level? Do you have a strong background in the mathematics necessary to study this subject at a graduate level?
As i have encountered, the maths required for quantum physics is nowhere taught in engineering scheme in depth. And all i have in physics is analytical skills in physics and nothing theoretical. I'm strong at computing mathematics but not at analysing. So is it recommended to carry another undergraduation in physics? Or advance undergraduation program provided by colleges helps me carry on my masters? The reason behind my confusion is that i need in-depth understanding of physics and im more interested in particle physics(theoretical prediction). So now is my move and i have to make it right. So kindly analyse a situation and shower me with best possibility. Thanks
Vinay Hebbar
Dec5-12, 12:44 AM
Quote Quote by eri View Post
There's no such thing as a masters in quantum physics. It's just a masters in physics, and it requires a bachelors in physics. Many US schools do not consider a bachelors from India equivalent to a bachelors here; some will make you earn a masters in physics in India before applying to their masters programs. Many also don't grant a terminal masters; it's a PhD or nothing.
In India pertaining to engineering course, our masters would be completely channelised to the field of interest. So i never knew that it never existed. So suggest me about what its like doing masters there and BS physics.
TMFKAN64
Dec5-12, 01:03 AM
P: 1,084
It's just a masters in physics, and it requires a bachelors in physics.
No, that's not true. I'll point to myself as an example: I have an MS in physics, but no BS in physics.

That said, I did end up taking most of the upper division undergraduate physics courses in the course of my studies.
Vinay Hebbar
Dec5-12, 04:15 AM
Quote Quote by TMFKAN64 View Post
No, that's not true. I'll point to myself as an example: I have an MS in physics, but no BS in physics.

That said, I did end up taking most of the upper division undergraduate physics courses in the course of my studies.
So whats your point for me? How does it actually help me with those words?
eri
Dec5-12, 06:29 PM
P: 981
Yes, you can get into a graduate program in physics without a BS in physics, but not without significant physics coursework. Grad schools don't start over at the beginning - they assume you just spent 4 years studying the subject and pick up from there.
TMFKAN64
Dec6-12, 12:13 AM
Yes, you can get into a graduate program in physics without a BS in physics, but not without significant physics coursework. Grad schools don't start over at the beginning - they assume you just spent 4 years studying the subject and pick up from there.
Exactly. If you really want to, it is possible. However, there are no short cuts... at least none that I know of.
Vinay Hebbar
Dec6-12, 08:05 AM
So you guys are implying me to have another BS in physics to support my courses and advanced UG course doesn't support my motto?
Vanadium 50
Dec6-12, 08:28 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,459
Why do you think the answer is any different than the last time you posted this question? http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=622479
TMFKAN64
Dec6-12, 01:09 PM
Quote Quote by Vinay Hebbar View Post
So you guys are implying me to have another BS in physics to support my courses and advanced UG course doesn't support my motto?
No, not at all. Using the only example I have at hand, I had to do about a year's worth of remedial undergraduate course work when I got my MS. (I had studied a lot on my own before I started any courses, otherwise it would have been closer to two years.)

If you *only* take the upper division physics courses in a BS program, it takes much less than four years.

I'm actually trying to be encouraging here. You *can* get an advanced degree in physics without having a bachelor's in physics first. However, it will take longer, because you *will* have a lot of ground that you need to make up.

Register to reply