Taking Calculus 3 first and then Physics Electromagentism?

by Toranc3
Tags: calculus, electromagentism, physics
Toranc3
Nov29-12, 11:11 AM
P: 188
I have already completed Calculus 1 and 2 but I was wondering if it would be a better idea to take calculus 3 first and then phsyics electromagnetism. I know that electromagnetism deals with a lot of integration but does it deal with double and triple integrals? Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
jtbell
Nov29-12, 11:36 AM
Mentor
P: 11,232
If it's the second semester of a typical "freshman physics" sequence, you probably don't need Calc 3 beforehand. You will use line, surface and volume integrals, but mainly for conceptual purposes. In most examples and problems, the integrals will be trivial from a mathematical point of view. This may vary from one school to another, so if you're really worried, talk to the instructor about it beforehand.

If it's a junior/senior level E&M course using, say, Griffiths as a textbook, on the other hand...
Toranc3
Dec5-12, 07:47 PM
P: 188
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
If it's the second semester of a typical "freshman physics" sequence, you probably don't need Calc 3 beforehand. You will use line, surface and volume integrals, but mainly for conceptual purposes. In most examples and problems, the integrals will be trivial from a mathematical point of view. This may vary from one school to another, so if you're really worried, talk to the instructor about it beforehand.

If it's a junior/senior level E&M course using, say, Griffiths as a textbook, on the other hand...
Thanks for the reply.

ZombieFeynman
Dec6-12, 05:45 AM
PF Gold
P: 235

Taking Calculus 3 first and then Physics Electromagentism?

I think i took them at the same time and it didnt seem to hurt or help. I recall calc 2 being much more helpful.

Register to reply