Variant of Bocard's Problem

by Someone2841
Tags: bocard, variant
Share this thread:
Someone2841
Dec2-12, 04:50 AM
P: 29
[All numbers as assumed to be integers]

Bocard's problem asks to find the solutions to the Diophantine equation [itex]n!=m^2-1[/itex]. The only known [itex](n,m)[/itex] pairs are [itex](4,5),(5,11),(7,71)[/itex], and it is conjectured that there are no more. A generalization of this problem would be [itex]n!=m^2-A[/itex]. I've been playing around with this formula, and while I do not have a general proof right now, it seems that one could prove there to be for any non-square [itex]A[/itex] a finite number of solutions (usually 0).

As an example, consider the solutions to [itex]n!=m^2-5[/itex]. To show it has a finite number of solutions, consider the equation in terms of mod 3. Assuming [itex]n\geq3[/itex], then [itex]n!\bmod3=0[/itex], and if it can be shown that [itex]m^2 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}[/itex] has no solutions, then [itex]n!=m^2-5[/itex] cannot have a solution with [itex]n\geq3[/itex]. It is simple enough to show that the solution set to [itex]m^2 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}[/itex] is null. As [itex]3x[/itex], [itex]3x+1[/itex], and [itex]3x+2[/itex] include all integers, showing that [itex](3x)^2=9x\equiv 0 \pmod{3}[/itex], [itex](3x+1)^2=9x^2+6x+1 \equiv 1 \pmod{3}[/itex], [itex](3x+2)^2=9x+12x+4\equiv 1 \pmod{3}[/itex] demonstrates that any [itex]n^2\bmod3[/itex] will be 0 or 1, but never 2. Therefore, [itex]n[/itex] can only equal 1 or 2; since neither provides a solution, the equation at [itex]A=5[/itex] has no solutions.

Making a quick list of [itex]a^2\bmod b[/itex] cycles (I say cycle since the first [itex]a[/itex] terms will repeat ad infinitum over [itex]b[/itex]) and determining which numbers mod b do not exist therein gives a method for finding linear equations for which numbers will have finite solutions. For example, [itex]a^2\bmod 3[/itex] will never include 2. Therefore, for all integers [itex]k[/itex], [itex]A=3k+2[/itex] will have a finite solution set. It's easy enough to write a program to loop through the first several [itex]b[/itex]'s and it seems that only numbers in the form [itex]n!=m^2-s^2[/itex] cannot be proven finite by this method; this is simply an observed pattern without a general proof.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this (definitely let me know if I've come to incorrect conclusions)? Is there a good way to go about proving that for all non-square [itex]A[/itex]'s there is a finite number of solutions?

---
Edit: My program confirms that non-square numbers from [itex]A=[/itex] 2 to 224 have finite solutions with an upper bound [itex]B[/itex] for [itex]n[/itex] at [itex]B\leq13[/itex]. This is what leads me to wonder if this extends to infinity.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Vargo
Dec7-12, 09:58 PM
P: 350
So by your argument, given A, you need to find a modulus N such that A is not a square modulo N. If you can find such an N then you can repeat your argument replacing 3 with N. It might help you to read up on quadratic residues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_residue

Also, you might check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_...ic_reciprocity
That provides the fastest way to check whether or not A is a square modulo N.
ramsey2879
Dec8-12, 10:52 AM
P: 894
Quote Quote by Someone2841 View Post
[All numbers as assumed to be integers]

Bocard's problem asks to find the solutions to the Diophantine equation [itex]n!=m^2-1[/itex]. The only known [itex](n,m)[/itex] pairs are [itex](4,5),(5,11),(7,71)[/itex], and it is conjectured that there are no more. A generalization of this problem would be [itex]n!=m^2-A[/itex]. I've been playing around with this formula, and while I do not have a general proof right now, it seems that one could prove there to be for any non-square [itex]A[/itex] a finite number of solutions (usually 0).

As an example, consider the solutions to [itex]n!=m^2-5[/itex]. To show it has a finite number of solutions, consider the equation in terms of mod 3. Assuming [itex]n\geq3[/itex], then [itex]n!\bmod3=0[/itex], and if it can be shown that [itex]m^2 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}[/itex] has no solutions, then [itex]n!=m^2-5[/itex] cannot have a solution with [itex]n\geq3[/itex]. It is simple enough to show that the solution set to [itex]m^2 \equiv 2 \pmod{3}[/itex] is null. As [itex]3x[/itex], [itex]3x+1[/itex], and [itex]3x+2[/itex] include all integers, showing that [itex](3x)^2=9x\equiv 0 \pmod{3}[/itex], [itex](3x+1)^2=9x^2+6x+1 \equiv 1 \pmod{3}[/itex], [itex](3x+2)^2=9x+12x+4\equiv 1 \pmod{3}[/itex] demonstrates that any [itex]n^2\bmod3[/itex] will be 0 or 1, but never 2. Therefore, [itex]n[/itex] can only equal 1 or 2; since neither provides a solution, the equation at [itex]A=5[/itex] has no solutions.

Making a quick list of [itex]a^2\bmod b[/itex] cycles (I say cycle since the first [itex]a[/itex] terms will repeat ad infinitum over [itex]b[/itex]) and determining which numbers mod b do not exist therein gives a method for finding linear equations for which numbers will have finite solutions. For example, [itex]a^2\bmod 3[/itex] will never include 2. Therefore, for all integers [itex]k[/itex], [itex]A=3k+2[/itex] will have a finite solution set. It's easy enough to write a program to loop through the first several [itex]b[/itex]'s and it seems that only numbers in the form [itex]n!=m^2-s^2[/itex] cannot be proven finite by this method; this is simply an observed pattern without a general proof.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this (definitely let me know if I've come to incorrect conclusions)? Is there a good way to go about proving that for all non-square [itex]A[/itex]'s there is a finite number of solutions?

---
Edit: My program confirms that non-square numbers from [itex]A=[/itex] 2 to 224 have finite solutions with an upper bound [itex]B[/itex] for [itex]n[/itex] at [itex]B\leq13[/itex]. This is what leads me to wonder if this extends to infinity.
Your post is interesting and I thought it warranted comment but had none to offer. Glad to see that it is now getting a few comments.

Someone2841
Dec9-12, 05:46 PM
P: 29
Variant of Bocard's Problem

Quote Quote by Vargo View Post
So by your argument, given A, you need to find a modulus N such that A is not a square modulo N. If you can find such an N then you can repeat your argument replacing 3 with N. It might help you to read up on quadratic residues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_residue

Also, you might check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_...ic_reciprocity
That provides the fastest way to check whether or not A is a square modulo N.
Thanks for your reply! I was not familiar with quadratic residues before my original post, though I came across them just a few days ago. I think they are definitely key to the problem.

Quote Quote by ramsey2879 View Post
Your post is interesting and I thought it warranted comment but had none to offer. Glad to see that it is now getting a few comments.

Register to reply