Question on Primitive Roots and GCDs

• I
  • Thread starter Albert01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcd
Albert01
I have a question about a certain fact from the book of Nussbaumer "Fast Fourier Transform and Convolution Algorithms" in the chapter of Number-theoretic transformation. I have quoted the relevant passage once.

There it says:

##(g^t -1)S \equiv g^{Nt} - 1 \equiv 0 \text{ mod } q \quad (1)##

Thus, ##S \equiv 0## provided ##g^t - 1 \not\equiv 0 \text{ mod } q## for ##t \not\equiv 0 \text{ mod } N##. This implies that ##g## must be a root of unity of order ##N \text{ mod } q##, that is to say, ##g## must be an integer such that ##N## is the smallest nonzero integer for which ##g^N \equiv 1 \text{ mod } q##.

This quotation refers to ##q## being a prime number. But then it continues with a consideration of ##q## as a composite number. There it is stated:

Equation ##(1)## implies not only that ##g## is a root of order ##N \text{ mod } q##, but also, since ##q## is composite, that ##[(g^t-1), q] = 1##.
Questions:

• My question is actually "only" how one comes to the conclusion that from equation ##(1)## follows ##[(g^t-1), q] = 1##, when ##q## is composite; and what benefit you get out of it.
  • A second question that follows from this would then be whether ##[(g^t-1), q] = 1## (must) hold for ##t=1,...,N-1##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Albert01 said:
I have a question about a certain fact from the book of Nussbaumer "Fast Fourier Transform and Convolution Algorithms" in the chapter of Number-theoretic transformation. I have quoted the relevant passage once.

There it says:
This quotation refers to ##q## being a prime number. But then it continues with a consideration of ##q## as a composite number. There it is stated:

Albert01 said:
Questions:

• My question is actually "only" how one comes to the conclusion that from equation ##(1)## follows ##[(g^t-1), q] = 1##, when ##q## is composite; and what benefit you get out of it.
It doesn't fillow. It is an additional requirement in oder to have the same conclusion.
Albert01 said:
  • A second question that follows from this would then be whether ##[(g^t-1), q] = 1## (must) hold for ##t=1,...,N-1##?
Isn't ##t## fixed?

Hi @martinbn,

martinbn said:
It doesn't fillow. It is an additional requirement in oder to have the same conclusion.

Can you please explain this a little bit more?

If ##\text{gcd}(g^t-1,q) = 1## we can write ##(g^t-1) \cdot x + q \cdot y = 1##. On the other hand, we have ##g^t-1 \not\equiv 0 \text{ mod } q##, which we can write as ##g^t-1 \neq 0 + c \cdot q##. I don't see now how far you get to the same conclusion.

Should I add more info (to the passage from the textbook)?

Last edited:

1. What is a primitive root?

A primitive root of a positive integer n is an integer a such that every integer relatively prime to n can be written as a power of a modulo n. In other words, a is a generator of the group of units modulo n.

2. How do you find primitive roots?

Finding primitive roots is a complex mathematical problem and there is no general formula for determining them. However, there are some techniques and algorithms that can be used to find primitive roots for specific values of n.

3. What is the relationship between primitive roots and GCDs?

The greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers is the largest positive integer that divides both numbers without leaving a remainder. The GCD of a primitive root a and n is always equal to 1, since a primitive root is relatively prime to n.

4. Can a number have more than one primitive root?

No, a number can only have one primitive root. However, a primitive root of a number n can have multiple powers that are also primitive roots of n.

5. What are some applications of primitive roots and GCDs?

Primitive roots and GCDs have various applications in number theory, cryptography, and computer science. They are used in algorithms for encryption and decryption, generating random numbers, and solving mathematical problems related to modular arithmetic.