No integer whose digits add up to ## 15 ## can be a square or a cube

In summary: Indeed. And even if the OP decides to assume this without proof, they still need to state that they are assuming this without proof. The same goes for the assumption that ## a^2 \pmod 9 \equiv (a \pmod 9)^2 \pmod 9 ## at the beginning.
Math100
Homework Statement
Prove that no integer whose digits add up to ## 15 ## can be a square or a cube.
[Hint: For any ## a ##, ## a^{3}\equiv 0, 1, ## or ## 8\pmod {9} ##.]
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Let ## a ## be any integer.
Then ## a\equiv 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ##, or ## 8\pmod {9} ##.
This means ## a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4, 9, 7, 7, 0, 4 ##, or ## 1\pmod {9} ## and ## a^{3}\equiv 0, 1, 8, 0, 1, 8, 0, 1 ##, or ## 8\pmod {9} ##.
Thus ## a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4 ##, or ## 7\pmod {9} ## and ## a^{3}\equiv 0, 1 ##, or ## 8\pmod {9} ##.
There exists no integer ## a ## such that ## a^{2}\equiv 6\pmod {9} ## or ## a^{3}\equiv 6\pmod {9} ##.
Therefore, no integer whose digits add up to ## 15 ## can be a square or a cube.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that no integer whose digits add up to ## 15 ## can be a square or a cube.
[Hint: For any ## a ##, ## a^{3}\equiv 0, 1, ## or ## 8\pmod {9} ##.]
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

Let ## a ## be any integer.
Then ## a\equiv 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ##, or ## 8\pmod {9} ##.
This means ## a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4, 9, 7, 7, 0, 4 ##, or ## 1\pmod {9} ## and ## a^{3}\equiv 0, 1, 8, 0, 1, 8, 0, 1 ##, or ## 8\pmod {9} ##.
Thus ## a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4 ##, or ## 7\pmod {9} ## and ## a^{3}\equiv 0, 1 ##, or ## 8\pmod {9} ##.
There exists no integer ## a ## such that ## a^{2}\equiv 6\pmod {9} ## or ## a^{3}\equiv 6\pmod {9} ##.
Therefore, no integer whose digits add up to ## 15 ## can be a square or a cube.
Let's see:
\begin{align*}
N&=a_k\cdot 10^k+\ldots +a_1\cdot 10 +a_0 = a^m \text{ with } m\in \{2,3\} \text{ and } \sum a_i =15\\
&\Longrightarrow \\
N&\equiv a_k \cdot 1^k +\ldots +a_1\cdot 1 +a_0 \equiv 15 \equiv 6 \pmod{9}
\end{align*}

Your solution is correct, I just needed ##10^j\equiv 1\pmod 9## to close the gap between ##\sum a_i =15## and ##a^m \not\equiv 6 \pmod 9.##

Likes Delta2, malawi_glenn and Math100
fresh_42 said:
Your solution is correct, I just needed ##10^j\equiv 1\pmod 9## to close the gap between ##\sum a_i =15## and ##a^m \not\equiv 6 \pmod 9.##
But that is the only non-trivial step! Without it the 'proof' is worthless.

Likes Delta2
pbuk said:
But that is the only non-trivial step! Without it the 'proof' is worthless.
The OP has done many problems here where he states that a number modulo 9 is equal to the sum of its digits (in base 10) modulo 9 so in his mind he has this step self implied I think. But of course the objective reader can't be inside his mind to know what he is thinking.

Likes fresh_42
Delta2 said:
The OP has done many problems here where he states that a number modulo 9 is equal to the sum of its digits (in base 10) modulo 9 so in his mind he has this step self implied I think. But of course the objective reader can't be inside his mind to know what he is thinking.
Indeed. And even if the OP decides to assume this without proof, they still need to state that they are assuming this without proof. The same goes for the assumption that ## a^2 \pmod 9 \equiv (a \pmod 9)^2 \pmod 9 ## at the beginning.

Why the OP doesn't think it is important to include these assumptions but thinks that it is important to state that ## a \in \mathbb N \Rightarrow a\equiv 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 \text{ or } 8 \pmod 9 ## is unfathomable to me.

Likes Delta2

1. Why can't any integer whose digits add up to 15 be a square or a cube?

This is because when the digits of a number are added together, the resulting sum is a multiple of 3. And since a number can only be a perfect square or cube if its prime factorization has an even exponent for all primes, which is not possible when the sum of the digits is a multiple of 3.

2. Is there a specific reason why the sum of the digits must be a multiple of 3?

Yes, this is because when a number is divided by 3, the remainder is equivalent to the sum of its digits. Therefore, if the sum of the digits is not a multiple of 3, the number itself is not divisible by 3 and cannot be a perfect square or cube.

3. Are there any exceptions to this rule?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. It applies to all integers whose digits add up to 15, regardless of the number of digits or the order in which they are arranged.

4. Can a number whose digits add up to 15 be a perfect square or cube if it is a decimal or fraction?

No, this rule applies to all types of numbers, including decimals and fractions. As long as the sum of the digits is a multiple of 3, the number cannot be a perfect square or cube.

5. How can I prove that this rule is always true?

This rule can be proven using mathematical principles and properties, such as the divisibility rule for 3 and the prime factorization of perfect squares and cubes. It can also be demonstrated through examples and counterexamples.