Register to reply

Natural Gas to generate hydrogen, fuel cell?

by 4220Fox
Tags: cell, fuel, generate, hydrogen, natural
Share this thread:
4220Fox
Dec9-12, 08:47 AM
P: 10
Hi all, one last question for today - Given steam reforming of natural gas to generate hydrogen, what is the major difficulty with it with respect to most fuel cells? Thank you,
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
russ_watters
Dec9-12, 07:12 PM
Mentor
P: 22,288
I'm not sure there is a difficulty with it. You can reform it or use it directly.
4220Fox
Dec9-12, 07:41 PM
So we would use the hydrogen (Made from steam reforming via natural gas) to make the fuel cells then? Thank you-

4220Fox
Dec10-12, 09:04 PM
Natural Gas to generate hydrogen, fuel cell?

Any other fuel cell pros in the community?
russ_watters
Dec11-12, 03:26 PM
Mentor
P: 22,288
I'm not really sure what you are asking. Could you rephrase? Have you done any of your own research?
jim mcnamara
Dec11-12, 03:39 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,382
This kind of sounds like an assignment/homework question.

Can you please post your requirements?
NascentOxygen
Dec12-12, 01:39 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,257
Quote Quote by 4220Fox View Post
So we would use the hydrogen (Made from steam reforming via natural gas) to make the fuel cells then? Thank you-
I think I've seen (a test setup described) where the hydrogen content in natural gas is used by having the fuel cell connected to the town gas system and incorporating a filter to extract only the light molecules of hydrogen and use that as its fuel.
CWatters
Dec12-12, 03:44 AM
P: 3,135
Quote Quote by 4220Fox View Post
Hi all, one last question for today - Given steam reforming of natural gas to generate hydrogen, what is the major difficulty with it with respect to most fuel cells? Thank you,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_reforming

Disadvantages of reforming for supplying fuel cells

The reformer–fuel-cell system is still being researched but in the near term, systems would continue to run on existing fuels, such as natural gas or gasoline or diesel. However, there is an active debate about whether using these fuels to make hydrogen is beneficial while global warming is an issue. Fossil fuel reforming does not eliminate carbon dioxide release into the atmosphere but reduces the carbon dioxide emissions as compared to the burning of conventional fuels due to increased efficiency.[8] However, by turning the release of carbon dioxide into a point source rather than distributed release, carbon capture and storage becomes a possibility, which would prevent the carbon dioxide's release to the atmosphere, while adding to the cost of the process.

Register to reply