Hydrogen fuel cells in small applications

In summary, fuel cells are not the best option for high performance drones because they are not well suited for burst currents and they are not very light.
Pogona
Hello internet!

Please excuse any silly questions as I am not (obviously) a professionally educated physicist (yet!).

I was doing a school project on alternative energy sources and became rather interested in hydrogen fuel cells, specifically to replace batteries in small scale, high energy requirement situations such as drones. I know that we can make them very small (see https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16370-worlds-smallest-fuel-cell-promises-greener-gadgets/) however these micro-cells run at very low voltages and currents. Is there any way of calculating/roughly working out how big a fuel cell has to be to produce a certain voltage and/or current? (of course the size of the hydrogen fuel tank would not be taken into consideration here. Assume that there is an external hydrogen supply.) Also does anybody know of a way to calculate how much energy you can get from a certain volume of hydrogen, or how long a certain volume would last if it were being used to make a constant electrical current of x amps at y volts?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pogona said:
Is there any way of calculating/roughly working out how big a fuel cell has to be to produce a certain voltage and/or current?
~100 A/m2.
Pogona said:
Also does anybody know of a way to calculate how much energy you can get from a certain volume of hydrogen, or how long a certain volume would last if it were being used to make a constant electrical current of x amps at y volts?
Google "hydrogen combustion energy."

Likes Pogona
Could you possibly add an explanation to go with that equation?
I'm guessing it means approximately 100 Amps per m^2 of the surface area of the electrodes (according to this source: http://www.mpoweruk.com/hydrogen_fuel.htm).
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
"power outputs are about 1 Watt /cm2" ... Looks like I gave you a "lowball" estimate for current output; 0.5 V x 20,000 A = 10 kW. My "bad." Based that on my experience with electropolishing (100 mA/cm2 max) and anodizing (10 mA/cm2 max).

The issue with fuel cells ( esp for a drone) is referred to as their BOP; or balance of plant. Basically all of the auxiliary equipment and systems needed to make it run well and reliably. For any high performance vehicle, and to me a Drone is that, Fuel Cells are not well suited where you want simple, effective and responsive power. For less dynamic loads - buses, fork trucks there have been some pretty good solutions with fuel cells. For fuel cells think low and slow - but the efficiency of conversion is very good.

For hydrogen fueled drones - combustion is the answer. It is very versatile fuel, high energy and can be used in Internal Combustion or Turbine set ups - and still minimal to zero environmental impact ( depending on how you source the H2)

Edit - BTW - and again my opinion, for a school project, detailing what you wanted to do ( Apply a fuel sell to a Drone) and why you learned and accepted that it is maybe not the best idea - and you decided to do "X" differently is a very good report strategy. In the real world I have seen more projects and careers sunk by people so "locked in" to their original ideal and plan - they could never accept, or admit, that their original premise was just wrong. - Humility leads to success and arrogance kills.

Likes CalcNerd
Pogona said:
Is there any way of calculating/roughly working out how big a fuel cell has to be to produce a certain voltage and/or current?

Hydrogen fuel cells output about 700mV per cell so you need a "stack" to produce higher voltages. In terms of current there's the internal resistance of the generator to consider and the plate area required to deliver a particular current. That's already been indicated.

In terms of multi-rotor drones they usually require pretty high burst currents which as already stated is not something fuel cells are particularly well suited for. It would be possible to combine a high drain Li-Ion battery with a fuel cell to provide the burst currents required. However weight is always a big consideration with aircraft and the higher weight of a fuel cell system compared to a battery may be somewhat impractical.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but my internet has been down for almost two weeks! I followed Windadct's advice for using the hydrogen fuel for combustion instead and got full marks!

Thanks for all your help.

1. What exactly is a hydrogen fuel cell?

A hydrogen fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts the chemical energy of hydrogen and oxygen into electricity. It works by combining hydrogen and oxygen to produce water and heat, while also generating electricity that can power small applications such as cars, homes, and portable devices.

2. How does a hydrogen fuel cell work?

A hydrogen fuel cell works through a process called electrolysis, where hydrogen gas is separated into protons and electrons. The protons then pass through a membrane to combine with oxygen from the air, forming water and releasing energy. This energy is then converted into electricity that can power a variety of small applications.

3. What are the advantages of using hydrogen fuel cells in small applications?

There are several advantages to using hydrogen fuel cells in small applications. They produce zero emissions, making them an environmentally friendly option. They also have high energy efficiency, can be refueled quickly, and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional batteries. Additionally, hydrogen is a widely available and renewable resource, making it a sustainable fuel source.

4. What are the limitations of using hydrogen fuel cells in small applications?

One limitation of using hydrogen fuel cells in small applications is the high cost of production and infrastructure. It also requires a constant supply of hydrogen, which can be challenging to obtain in some areas. There are also safety concerns related to the storage and transportation of hydrogen gas. However, research and development in this field are continuously improving and addressing these limitations.

5. What are some examples of small applications that use hydrogen fuel cells?

Hydrogen fuel cells are used in a variety of small applications, including cars, buses, forklifts, and portable devices such as laptops and smartphones. They are also being tested for use in residential homes as a backup power source. Additionally, some remote areas and islands use hydrogen fuel cells to generate electricity for their communities.