Register to reply

Irreducibility of Polynomial...part deux...

by Square1
Tags: deux, irreducibility, polynomialpart
Share this thread:
Square1
Dec10-12, 12:01 AM
P: 115
Ok I promise this time it is not a homework type question.

If someone could direct with a name of a theorem here, then I'll go ahead and google it, otherwise have a look. I have a chunk of notes that I'm confused about. We're not shown any proofs here or any explanations, just what is seen. It was talking about in somewhat of a "mention in passing" way so maybe I am not supposed to look too deep into it and just accept the results. Here it is...

Basically we are told that if we have a polynomial f in Z[x], if f = gh where g and h belong t Q[x], it can be shown that the coefficients can be selected to be in Z[x]. We told this is Gauss' Lemma. OK. Then it goes, we change the given polynomial into the corresponding polynomial that has the coefficients changed into elements of a prime congruence class. g and h are defined the same, then "f-bar" = "g-bar" times "h-bar". If p prime is chosen right, it shows that if "f-bar" is irreducible, then f is irreducible.

I'll start by asking does anyone know what this is describing, and if we have a name for it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Square1
Dec10-12, 06:31 PM
Ok just found it actually. Case closed -.-
mathwonk
Dec12-12, 08:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
you might look at some of my free algebra notes on my website. see my public profile for my web address under contact info. or just click on my name at left and the pulldown menu gives a link to it.

Square1
Dec12-12, 08:54 PM
Irreducibility of Polynomial...part deux...

Thanks for the suggestion, roy :) . I'll keep this mind.

Register to reply