Stewart's Galois Theory doesn't make sense

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, Lemma 3.15 states that in a subfield of complex numbers, if an irreducible polynomial divides the product of two polynomials, then it must also divide one of the two polynomials. This is because irreducibility and primality are equivalent in K[x]. However, the statement could be clearer as it does not exclude the possibility of both polynomials being divisible by the irreducible polynomial.
swampwiz
I am going through this book, and on page 38, there is

LEMMA 3.15
Let K be a subfield of C, f an irreducible polynomial over K, and g, h polynomials over K. If g divides gh, then either f divides h or f divides h.

OK, so I have proven that f must divide over g or h - i.e., if f doesn't divide g, it must divide h - but it seems that f could still divide both, which is not what the text says.

f = ( x - 1 )

g = ( x - 1 )2 ( x - 2 )

h = ( x - 1 )3 ( x - 3 )

g h = ( x - 1 )5 ( x - 2 ) ( x - 3 )

Clearly, f divides ( g h ), g & h, so the LEMMA is wrong.

What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume it is f divides gh. But the either is not necessarily exclusive. But, yes, it could be made more clear, I agree.

Likes swampwiz
swampwiz said:
I am going through this book, and on page 38, there is

LEMMA 3.15
Let K be a subfield of C, f an irreducible polynomial over K, and g, h polynomials over K.
If g
f
divides gh, then either f divides h or f divides h.
g

This is simply the fact that irreducibility and primality are the same thing in ##K[x]##. Lemma 3.15 if written correctly says, that any irreducible polynomial is prime.

in mathematics the phrase "either A or B" always means "either A or B or both".

1. What is Stewart's Galois Theory?

Stewart's Galois Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of field extensions and their automorphisms. It was developed by mathematician Ian Stewart in the 1970s.

2. Why does Stewart's Galois Theory not make sense?

There may be a few reasons why someone may find Stewart's Galois Theory confusing. It is a complex mathematical theory that requires a strong foundation in abstract algebra to fully understand. Additionally, the notation and terminology used in the theory may be unfamiliar to those who are not well-versed in mathematics.

3. Is Stewart's Galois Theory important?

Yes, Stewart's Galois Theory is an important and fundamental concept in mathematics. It has applications in various fields such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and physics. It also provides a powerful tool for solving polynomial equations and understanding the structure of mathematical objects.

4. How can I better understand Stewart's Galois Theory?

To better understand Stewart's Galois Theory, it is recommended to have a strong background in abstract algebra and to study the theory in-depth. There are also many resources available, such as textbooks and online lectures, that can help clarify the concepts and notation used in the theory.

5. Can Stewart's Galois Theory be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, Stewart's Galois Theory has many practical applications in various fields, including cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It also has connections to other branches of mathematics, such as topology and differential equations, making it a versatile and valuable tool for solving real-world problems.