Prime Polynomials and Irreducible Polynomials

In summary: P, then at least one of a and b is an element of P." This follows from the fact that (p) is a prime ideal, which is defined as an ideal where the product of two elements a and b is in the ideal if and only if at least one of a or b is in the ideal. In summary, Dummit and Foote provide definitions for irreducible and prime elements in integral domains. However, these definitions may not align with other sources and there may be some confusion regarding whether irreducible and prime are the same for polynomials. Additionally, D&F's definitions are restricted to integral domains, leaving their meaning unclear for general rings. There may also be some discrepancies between D&F's
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Dummit and Foote on page 284 give the following definitions of irreducible and prime for integral domains. (I have some issues/problems with the definitions - see below)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Definition:

Let R be an integral domain.

(1) Suppose \(\displaystyle r \in R \) is non-zero and not a unit. Then r is called irreducible in R if whenever r = ab with [TEX] a, b \in R [/TEX] at least one of a or b must be a unit in R. Otherwise r is said to be reducible.

(2) The non-zero element [TEX] p \in R [/TEX] is called prime in R if the ideal (p) generated by p is a prime ideal. In other words, a non-zero element p is a prime if it is not a unit and whenever p|ab for any [TEX] a,b \in R [/TEX], then either p|a or p|b."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So where a ring of polynomials is an integral domain we have a definition of prime and irreducible elements (polynomials).

However, most algebra books I have referenced just talk about irreducible polynomials - and indeed define them in ways that look like D&F's definition of a prime element in an integral domain - so maybe for polynomials (for some reason?) irreducible and prime are the same thing? Can someone clarify this point?

Indeed, in the book Elements of Modern Algebra by Gilbert and Gilbert we find the following definition of an irreducible polynomial:

"A polynomial f(x) in F[x] is irreducible (or prime) over F (a field?) if f(x) has positive degree and f(x) cannot be expressed as a product f(x) = g(x)h(x) with both g(x) and h(x) of positive degree in F[x]."

Gilbert and Gilbert then follow this with the following theorem: (which seems to follow D&F definition of a prime in an integral domain - also - why is G&G using field and not an integral domain?)

"If p(x) is an irreducible polynomial over the field F and p(x) divides f(x)g(x), then either p(x) | f(x) or p(x) | g(x) in F[x] How does G&G's definition square with D&F's definitions. Can someone please clarify?

Another point is that I am unsure why D&F restrict these definitions to an integral domain thus leaving the terms undefined for general rings that are not integral domains. Can someone clarify?

Yet another problem I have with the above definitions by D&F is the following: D&F write: "In other words, a non-zero element p is a prime if it is not a unit and whenever p|ab for any [TEX] a,b \in R [/TEX], then either p|a or p|b." - How does this follow from (p) being a prime ideal.

Peter Note: D&F's definition of prime ideal is on page 255 and is as follows: Definition: Assume R is commutative. An ideal P is called a prime ideal if [TEX] P \ne R [/TEX] and whenever the product of two elements [TEX] a,b \in R [/TEX] is an element of P, then at least on of a and b is an element of P.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Dummit and Foote on page 284 give the following definitions of irreducible and prime for integral domains. (I have some issues/problems with the definitions - see below)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Definition:

Let R be an integral domain.

(1) Suppose \(\displaystyle r \in R \) is non-zero and not a unit. Then r is called irreducible in R if whenever r = ab with [TEX] a, b \in R [/TEX] at least one of a or b must be a unit in R. Otherwise r is said to be reducible.

(2) The non-zero element [TEX] p \in R [/TEX] is called prime in R if the ideal (p) generated by p is a prime ideal. In other words, a non-zero element p is a prime if it is not a unit and whenever p|ab for any [TEX] a,b \in R [/TEX], then either p|a or p|b."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So where a ring of polynomials is an integral domain we have a definition of prime and irreducible elements (polynomials).

However, most algebra books I have referenced just talk about irreducible polynomials - and indeed define them in ways that look like D&F's definition of a prime element in an integral domain - so maybe for polynomials (for some reason?) irreducible and prime are the same thing? Can someone clarify this point?

Indeed, in the book Elements of Modern Algebra by Gilbert and Gilbert we find the following definition of an irreducible polynomial:

"A polynomial f(x) in F[x] is irreducible (or prime) over F (a field?) if f(x) has positive degree and f(x) cannot be expressed as a product f(x) = g(x)h(x) with both g(x) and h(x) of positive degree in F[x]."

Gilbert and Gilbert then follow this with the following theorem: (which seems to follow D&F definition of a prime in an integral domain - also - why is G&G using field and not an integral domain?)

"If p(x) is an irreducible polynomial over the field F and p(x) divides f(x)g(x), then either p(x) | f(x) or p(x) | g(x) in F[x] How does G&G's definition square with D&F's definitions. Can someone please clarify?

Another point is that I am unsure why D&F restrict these definitions to an integral domain thus leaving the terms undefined for general rings that are not integral domains. Can someone clarify?

Yet another problem I have with the above definitions by D&F is the following: D&F write: "In other words, a non-zero element p is a prime if it is not a unit and whenever p|ab for any [TEX] a,b \in R [/TEX], then either p|a or p|b." - How does this follow from (p) being a prime ideal.

Peter Note: D&F's definition of prime ideal is on page 255 and is as follows: Definition: Assume R is commutative. An ideal P is called a prime ideal if [TEX] P \ne R [/TEX] and whenever the product of two elements [TEX] a,b \in R [/TEX] is an element of P, then at least on of a and b is an element of P.

Hi Peter, :)

I might not be able to answer all your questions but let me try to answer some of them. :)

Every prime element in an integral domain is irreducible. But the converse is true only within an Unique factorization domain(UFD). It could be shown that if \(F\) is a UFD so is \(F[x]\) (the ring of polynomials with coefficients in \(F\)). From what I have read in most books the polynomial ring (say \(F[x]\)) is defined in terms of a field \(F\). So you see the point of G&G using a field to define the polynomial ring. In this situation irreducibility an primeness are the same. Had he used an integral domain he would be forced to distinguish between irreducibility and primeness.

I hope my explanation helped you to clarify at least some of your doubts. :)

1. What is a prime polynomial?

A prime polynomial is a polynomial with integer coefficients that cannot be factored into polynomials with integer coefficients of smaller degree. In other words, it is a polynomial that cannot be written as the product of two or more polynomials of smaller degree.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial is prime?

A polynomial can be determined to be prime by checking if it can be factored into polynomials of smaller degree. If it cannot be factored, then it is considered prime. Another way to determine if a polynomial is prime is by using the Eisenstein's criterion, which states that if a polynomial has integer coefficients and there exists a prime number that divides all coefficients except the leading coefficient, then the polynomial is prime.

3. What is an irreducible polynomial?

An irreducible polynomial is a polynomial that cannot be factored into polynomials of smaller degree with coefficients in the same field. In other words, it cannot be broken down into simpler polynomials with coefficients from the same set of numbers.

4. How are prime polynomials and irreducible polynomials related?

Prime polynomials and irreducible polynomials are related because both types of polynomials cannot be factored into simpler polynomials. However, prime polynomials are a subset of irreducible polynomials. All prime polynomials are irreducible, but not all irreducible polynomials are prime.

5. Why are prime polynomials and irreducible polynomials important in mathematics?

Prime polynomials and irreducible polynomials are important in mathematics because they have many applications in areas such as number theory, algebra, and cryptography. They also play a crucial role in understanding polynomial factorization and the structure of polynomial rings. In addition, these types of polynomials have connections to other mathematical concepts, such as prime numbers and field extensions.