Bending a Beam to Produce Uniform Tension

In summary: The beam has developed a full plastic moment because it has reached the equilibrium state between the undeflected and deflected states.
mrh5529
Hello.

I am attempting to build a fixture which will place uniform tension onto one surface of a rectangular beam. I know that I must force the beam to deflect along a set path, but I am having trouble determining what the equation for this path needs to be. Any guidance on this would be very helpful. Thanks!

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello mike, welcome to Physics Forums.

You need to explain you intentions in more detail.

What do you mean by "on one surface"?
What surface? A longitudinal tension along an outer face is called shear!

Tension is normal to some surface. Which would that be in your case?

From what I think you mean, a constant longitudinal tension can be developed by

1) An axial traction load

2) An applied couple

I wrote a reply, but didn't save it and lost internet connection.

Basically I think it's much more simple than Stuidot alludes to, and also specific to bending.

Putting one face under uniform tension should be as easy as orienting that face away from the center of curvature, then bending with constant curvature.

How you do this depends on what you have available and/or what you want to accomplish. An easy way might be to bend around something that already has constant curvature. If materials and shape might be changing, or if you need specific tension then you'll have to give more details on what you're doing.

An easy way might be to bend around something that already has constant curvature.

The OP asked about a beam, not something bent around a former.

I didn't think about it in detail, just that it occurred to me as a way to achieve constant curvature in a beam. I imagined pinned ends and pressing the object into the beam. Would this provide difficulty beyond simply applying a load or moment?

Edit- A pin and a roller really so that it's not indeterminate.

Last edited:
I think we need to hear from the mike exactly what he means,

I agree that a constant tension implies a constant curvature.
Since the tension is one half of the bending moment couple it implies a constant moment since [itex]\frac{1}{\rho } = \frac{M}{{EI}}[/itex] as we are told the beam has a constant? rectangular cross section.

A constant moment can only be achieved by applying a couple, not a force which subjects the beam to a variable moment depending upon the distance from the force.
This was my method (2) in post #2.

It has occurred to me that by " constant across a section" mike may mean uniform across an exploratory free body section, similar to the stress block we assume for compression in the concrete that we assume in some theories of reincforced concrete.

Alternatively for an isotropic beam that has developed a full plastic moment both the compression and tension stress blocks will be rectangular at the exploratory section.

1. What is the purpose of bending a beam to produce uniform tension?

Bending a beam to produce uniform tension is a common technique used in engineering and construction to evenly distribute tension along a beam. This helps to prevent the beam from buckling or breaking under uneven stress, making it stronger and more durable.

2. How is a beam bent to produce uniform tension?

To bend a beam for uniform tension, a force is applied to the top of the beam in a perpendicular direction. This causes the top of the beam to compress and the bottom to stretch, creating tension that is evenly distributed along the length of the beam.

3. What factors can affect the uniformity of tension in a bent beam?

There are several factors that can affect the uniformity of tension in a bent beam, such as the material and thickness of the beam, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the supports and constraints of the beam's structure. These factors must be carefully considered and calculated in order to achieve the desired level of uniform tension.

4. What are the advantages of using a bent beam for uniform tension?

Using a bent beam to produce uniform tension has several advantages. It allows for a stronger and more stable beam, which can support heavier loads and withstand external forces without buckling or breaking. It also helps to evenly distribute stress and prevent localized damage, increasing the lifespan of the beam.

5. Are there any limitations to using a bent beam for uniform tension?

While bending a beam to produce uniform tension is a common and effective technique, it does have some limitations. Depending on the material and thickness of the beam, there may be a maximum amount of tension that can be evenly distributed. Additionally, the bending process can be time-consuming and may require specialized equipment, making it more costly than other methods of tension distribution.