A500 steel tubing beam deflection

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a steel frame over a patio and determining beam sizes for 17' spans. The person is getting conflicting beam deflection calculations and is unsure if their chosen 3.5" structural steel beams will be strong enough to hold a sunshade and hanging plants. They question the accuracy of online calculators and prefer to use beam deflection equations directly. It is noted that deflection is proportional to the cube of the length, and a 17' beam will have almost 3 times the deflection of a 12' beam. After calculating the total beam deflection for both the weight of the beam and the weight of the load, it is determined that the chosen beams should be strong enough for the intended
coyote50
TL;DR Summary
I'm looking to construct a simple rectangular 13'x17' hollow steel frame over my patio, but I'm getting conflicting beam deflection calculations.
I need to determine my beam size for my long spans of 17'. My plan was to use 3.5"OD A500 structural steel. 11 gauge (.120 in) wall thickness, 58 ksi, 5.64 lbs/ft. Beams will be sitting on and bolted (might weld) to large steel posts. So technically the ends of the beam will be free.
Hello,
I'm looking to construct a simple rectangular 13'x17' hollow steel frame over my patio, but I'm getting conflicting beam deflection calculations.

I need to determine my beam size for my long spans of 17'. My plan was to use 3.5"OD A500 structural steel. 11 gauge (.120 in) wall thickness, 58 ksi, 5.64 lbs/ft. Beams will be sitting on and bolted (might weld) to large steel posts. So technically the ends of the beam will be free.

Online calculations show deflections from .75" all the way past 6". Clearly something isn't right.

I'd like these two beams to be strong enough to handle a horizontal sunshade, and maybe a few hanging plants. I calculated a 150 lb downward force in the middle per beam just to be safe.

I guess I'm left scratching my head because they sell 16' span shade pergolas with these tiny cheap aluminum beams with no center support. Here at work I have 3"square, thin walled steel racking beams spanning 12' that can hold thousands of pounds with no real deflection. I would've thought my 3.5" structural steel beam would be ok.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Matt.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Note that a 150 lb load in the center of a beam is equivalent to a 300 lb load distributed evenly over the entire length of the beam. Have you allowed for snow loads on the sunshade?

The trouble with online calculators is difficulty knowing exactly what assumptions they incorporate, which is why I prefer to use the beam deflection equations directly. You have two separate loadings to calculate - the weight of the beam, and the weight of the stuff supported by the beam. Search beam deflection equations and area moment to find the equations.

Note that deflection from a point load is proportional to the cube of the length, so a 17 foot beam will have almost 3 times the deflection of a 12 foot beam under a point load It will have 4 times the deflection under its own weight (weight is proportional to length).

Beam weight = ##5.64 * 17 = 96 lbs##.
Beam length = ##12 * 17 = 204 inches##.
E = ##30E6 lb/inch^2##
I = ##1.82 in^4##

Beam deflection due to its own weight = ##96 * 204^3 * 5 / 384EI = 0.194 in##
Beam deflection due to 150 lb load in center = ##150 * 204^3 / 48EI = 0.486 in##
Total beam deflection = ##0.194 + 0.486 = 0.68 inches##

Likes coyote50
jrmichler said:
Note that a 150 lb load in the center of a beam is equivalent to a 300 lb load distributed evenly over the entire length of the beam. Have you allowed for snow loads on the sunshade?

The trouble with online calculators is difficulty knowing exactly what assumptions they incorporate, which is why I prefer to use the beam deflection equations directly. You have two separate loadings to calculate - the weight of the beam, and the weight of the stuff supported by the beam. Search beam deflection equations and area moment to find the equations.

Note that deflection from a point load is proportional to the cube of the length, so a 17 foot beam will have almost 3 times the deflection of a 12 foot beam under a point load It will have 4 times the deflection under its own weight (weight is proportional to length).

Beam weight = ##5.64 * 17 = 96 lbs##.
Beam length = ##12 * 17 = 204 inches##.
E = ##30E6 lb/inch^2##
I = ##1.82 in^4##

Beam deflection due to its own weight = ##96 * 204^3 * 5 / 384EI = 0.194 in##
Beam deflection due to 150 lb load in center = ##150 * 204^3 / 48EI = 0.486 in##
Total beam deflection = ##0.194 + 0.486 = 0.68 inches##
Thank you for the reply!
No snow load as I will be removing shade during the winter.
Your .68” deflection is much more in line with what I was expecting. Looking like I’ll be ok with my beam selection. Thank you for the equations, very helpful!

1. What is A500 steel tubing beam deflection?

A500 steel tubing beam deflection refers to the amount of bending or sagging that occurs in a beam made of A500 steel tubing when a load is applied to it. It is an important factor to consider in structural design and engineering.

2. How is A500 steel tubing beam deflection calculated?

A500 steel tubing beam deflection can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which takes into account the material properties, dimensions, and applied load of the beam. There are also online calculators and software programs available to assist with these calculations.

3. What factors affect A500 steel tubing beam deflection?

The factors that affect A500 steel tubing beam deflection include the material properties of the steel, such as its modulus of elasticity and yield strength, as well as the dimensions and geometry of the beam, and the magnitude and distribution of the applied load.

4. How can A500 steel tubing beam deflection be minimized?

To minimize A500 steel tubing beam deflection, engineers can use thicker or stronger steel tubing, increase the beam's depth or width, or add additional support structures such as columns or braces. The design should also take into account the expected load and potential for external forces such as wind or earthquakes.

5. What are the applications of A500 steel tubing beam deflection?

A500 steel tubing beam deflection is an important consideration in the design of structural components such as bridges, buildings, and other load-bearing structures. It is also relevant in the design of mechanical and industrial equipment, as well as in the construction of temporary structures such as scaffolding.