Low-pass filter with unideal op-amp

by xortan
Tags: filter, lowpass, opamp, unideal
Share this thread:
xortan
Dec14-12, 05:58 PM
P: 59
Hello,

I am designing an op-amp to be used as a low-pass filter and am using a TLC271. I have attached an image of the topology of the circuit. I found the transfer function to be G(s) = Y(s)/X(s) = 1/(10^-4s + 1).

I plotted the bode plot in MATLAB and have attached the result in the second figure. However when looking at the datasheet there is a graph that shows how the phase and gain will change with frequency. (Also included this image)

How can I determine the frequency dependent gain and phase shifting of TLC271 on the frequency response of the circuit?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
low pass filter op-amp.png   bode plot-lowpass.png   bode plot-datasheet.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
NascentOxygen
Dec14-12, 07:51 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,248
Quote Quote by xortan View Post
I am designing an op-amp to be used as a low-pass filter and am using a TLC271. I have attached an image of the topology of the circuit. I found the transfer function to be G(s) = Y(s)/X(s) = 1/(10^-4s + 1).
Do you mean that when built around the ordinary ideal inverting op-amp, that expression would give the gain?
I plotted the bode plot in MATLAB and have attached the result in the second figure. However when looking at the datasheet there is a graph that shows how the phase and gain will change with frequency. (Also included this image)
An op-amp with a fixed phase shift of 90 degrees over most of its useful range. Wow! How is that going to enliven amplifier design?
How can I determine the frequency dependent gain and phase shifting of TLC271 on the frequency response of the circuit?
TI do make available the Pspice model, so maybe simulate your filter and see what materialises?
http://www.ti.com/product/tlc271a?CMP=AFC-conv_SF_SEP#doctype1
Enthalpy
Dec14-12, 08:01 PM
P: 661
Every op amp exhibits 90 phase lag over its useful frequency range. It's the effect of the compensating capacitor.

To compute the effect of the op amp's frequency response, model its finite gain-bandwidth product as if it were an integrator, that's good enough in this frequency range (in fact, it's good in normal use of an op amp).

So the op amp's input (differential) voltage is τ*s times the output, where τ*2pi*GBW=1.
Recalculate the stage's attenuation function using this finite gain, simplify the result a bit, and usually τ just adds to the RC time constant.

NascentOxygen
Dec14-12, 08:37 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
Low-pass filter with unideal op-amp

Quote Quote by Enthalpy View Post
Every op amp exhibits 90 phase lag over its useful frequency range. It's the effect of the compensating capacitor.
So it does! (Memo to self: be more observant of datasheets!)

With the particular opamp mentioned, OP will be able to set the corner frequency by choice of the bias level.
xortan
Dec15-12, 01:45 AM
Thank you for the input! Yes, I mean that when I model the op-amp around ideal characteristics that is the expression that I will have. I will play around with it some more :)
xortan
Dec15-12, 03:35 PM
So after working on this thing a bit longer I'm getting confused. Looking at the datasheet I see the GBW is 1.7 Mhz. So am I supposed to be recalculating τ or use the τ from my transfer function and calculate the GBW? Also when you say model it as an integrator would I just multiply the current transfer function by GBW / s?

Edit: I calculated the tau to be 93 ns, I added this onto the RC time constant and now my bode plot starts to roll off at approximately 10 KHz, does this seem correct? I'm still confused by what finite gain you are speaking of however.
AlephZero
Dec15-12, 04:36 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,114
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-...nsfer_function

Using the notation of that link, H(s) is the transfer function of the passive components in your circuit. G(s) is the gain of the op amp. For a given frequency, You can read the amplitude and phase of G from the plot in the data sheet.

If |G(s)| is several orders of magnitude larger than |H(s)|, the difference between
G(s) / (1 + G(s)H(s)) and 1/H(s) is small. Your "ideal op amp" analysis assumed the G was "infinite" and so the overall transfer function was 1/H(s).
xortan
Dec15-12, 04:49 PM
So if I use the equation in the link and read the value of G from the datasheet plot this should give me the phase/amplitude I need for a given frequency?
AlephZero
Dec15-12, 05:47 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,114
Yes. In real life, transfer functions (like G here) are often measured data, not defined by a formula.
xortan
Dec16-12, 01:30 PM
Thank you so much! This helps me a lot.
xortan
Dec16-12, 05:43 PM
Hello,

So I did as you suggested, the phase looks completely off and the magnitude is either giving me wrong numbers or the same numbers back as the ideal op-amp. I even tried coming up with the equation for the G(s) and substituted into the above formula, simplified and plotted in matlab. It looks like my cut-off frequency shifted by a decade, also, the magnitude plot goes up then starts going down around 10 KHz. Am I missing something here?
NascentOxygen
Dec16-12, 08:29 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
What expression did you use for G(s)?
xortan
Dec16-12, 08:35 PM
I thought it might be Avo / (s + 100), with Avo being the open-loop gain at low frequency. I substituted that and my transfer function for the op-amp into that feedback equation, and tried simplifying and got a plot that could make sense I think. Tried doing it this way because reading the magnitudes and phases from the plots gave me numbers that weren't making sense to me.
NascentOxygen
Dec16-12, 08:55 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
I thought it might be Avo / (s + 100), with Avo being the open-loop gain at low frequency.
When s=0 that gives the low-frequency (near DC) gain as Avo/100, and a corresponding corner frequency (-3dB) of ω=100 rad/sec. How do these compare with the open loop gain of that op-amp in the datasheet?
xortan
Dec16-12, 09:03 PM
The one in the datasheet are in Hertz so I'm off by a factor of 2 pi. It looks like the gain is 10^4.5 at DC. So should my equation become Avo / ( s / 628 +1)? The corner frequency on the datasheet is at 100 Hz.

Once I get the equation for that graph do I sub that and my transfer function for the op-amp into that feedback equation, simplify and plot? Or can I just pull the info I need off these graphs and I'm just doing it wrong?
NascentOxygen
Dec16-12, 09:40 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
The one in the datasheet are in Hertz so I'm off by a factor of 2 pi. It looks like the gain is 10^4.5 at DC. So should my equation become Avo / ( s / 628 +1)? The corner frequency on the datasheet is at 100 Hz.

Once I get the equation for that graph do I sub that and my transfer function for the op-amp into that feedback equation, simplify and plot? Or can I just pull the info I need off these graphs and I'm just doing it wrong?
You read the DC gain as 10⁴⋅⁵? But you can't linearly interpolate off a log plot. I read it as around 2x10⁵. At 100Hz the graph shows gain has dropped to 6x10. That's a lot more than a 3dB drop! You should be looking for a gain of 0.7x2x10⁵.

On the graph you reference in your initial post, I'd estimate the -3dB corner frequency to be around 2Hz.

But are you sure that's the plot you should be using? You have read the full datasheet, including how you select its gain-bandwidth using one of three BIAS MODES. Retrieve the datasheet using the link I gave in my first reply.

Indeed, have you indicated the frequency range over you wish to use the filter? How precise does the response need to be, in comparison with the ideal?
NascentOxygen
Dec16-12, 09:45 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
You are modelling the op-amp as an ideal amplifier with a constant gain, followed by a low-pass filter. That's how the op-amp performs in real life, approximately.
xortan
Dec16-12, 09:55 PM
Looking at this attachment I see it says the load is 100 k-ohm..I have been looking at the proper one when doing the calculations tho they are the same. I see how you got the DC gain but I don't get how you get it at 100 Hz, it looks like they are at the same height..

The frequency range is from 10 Hz to 1 Mhz and the response does not need to be that precise, I am interested in how the frequency response given in the datasheet will affect the frequency response of my filter.

Register to reply